• question-icon

How to treat irregular menstrual cycle?

Hello Doctor, I am 27 years old and have extremely delay in Menstrual cycles for more than 10 years. It has been 63 days since last menstrual cycle. I wonder why. as I am feeling quite good for my body except this phenomenon.Any suggestion on what could be the reason and what type of test I should do to figure it?
Mon, 24 Feb 2014
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
There can be various reasons for irregular periods.
The most obvious and common ones, and which can be modified by yourself are - stress, anxiety, tensions, personal or professional taxations, weight loss, weight gain, ingestion of hormonal medications or medications that affect the menstrual cycle, erratic eating habits, late nights, smoking, drinking, alcohol, hectic travelling , depression, seasonal changes, changes in altitude etc.
Thyroid hormone imbalances need to be ruled out.
You should exclude PCOS - this means polycystic ovarian syndrome.
It is a condition of baseline hormonal imbalance, in which the ovaries get studded with multiple small follicles.
None of them mature and hence ovulation and menstruation are erratic.
Please visit a gynecologist, and have a complete internal evaluation - per vaginum and per speculum examination.
Also have the hormonal blood tests - FSH, LH, TSH, Prolactin, OGTT, DHEAS, free testosterone, Lipid profile.
Also, a pelvic ultrasound scan done transvaginally.
All the best.