Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
127 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
  • question-icon

    How to treat irregular menstrual cycle?

Hello Doctor, I am 27 years old and have extremely delay in Menstrual cycles for more than 10 years. It has been 63 days since last menstrual cycle. I wonder why. as I am feeling quite good for my body except this phenomenon.Any suggestion on what could be the reason and what type of test I should do to figure it?
Mon, 24 Feb 2014
Report Abuse
OBGYN 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
There can be various reasons for irregular periods.
The most obvious and common ones, and which can be modified by yourself are - stress, anxiety, tensions, personal or professional taxations, weight loss, weight gain, ingestion of hormonal medications or medications that affect the menstrual cycle, erratic eating habits, late nights, smoking, drinking, alcohol, hectic travelling , depression, seasonal changes, changes in altitude etc.
Thyroid hormone imbalances need to be ruled out.
You should exclude PCOS - this means polycystic ovarian syndrome.
It is a condition of baseline hormonal imbalance, in which the ovaries get studded with multiple small follicles.
None of them mature and hence ovulation and menstruation are erratic.
Please visit a gynecologist, and have a complete internal evaluation - per vaginum and per speculum examination.
Also have the hormonal blood tests - FSH, LH, TSH, Prolactin, OGTT, DHEAS, free testosterone, Lipid profile.
Also, a pelvic ultrasound scan done transvaginally.
All the best.
Take care.
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hi,I have the problem of irregular periods.I have already taken Krimson-35 for 6 months but again I got my periods delayed.Can i go for ashokarisht...

Recent questions on  Menstruation

doctor1 MD

my menstrual cycle is delayed for 3 days last month my periods date is 15th and normally i have 29 - 32 days cycle and i have an intercourse on 6th...

doctor1 MD

Dear sir/ Madam i have an sex with my girl friend. After sex she has taken unwanted 72 but she has taken sour. Now in the first day of her...

doctor1 MD

I am writing to you for my wife who is suffering from back and leg pain. She was diagnosed with disc prolapse and we got medical advise that the...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, i went to see a gynacologist because i suffer from menstrual pain. And i made some blood test, as well as vagina. And the doctor gave me...

doctor1 MD

I get a lower back pain which is excrucitating right after my cycle ends.its remians for 4-5 days. And have to take painkillers.Its very...

doctor1 MD

My wife is having side and back pain sometimes mild to severe she had her gallbladder out 9 months ago not sure what could be causing it. she also...

doctor1 MD

I started menstruation last Saturday but had unprotected sex today, can I get pregnant since this is also my first menstruation after child birth?