Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
175 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Are there any chances of getting hemochromatisis after menopause ?

I am 52 years old and have been in menopause (no periods) for approx 2 years. I have since gained about 40 pounds, and been very fatigued, and have had bouts of depression . I have been on blood pressure medicine for about 5 years now, but last time I was in the doctors office, about 2 weeks ago, it was 146/96. I read an article recently about hemochromatosis and remember that many years ago the doctor had told me that I that and had sent me to the hospital to have blood removed, then I had my period, and when I was tested again I was told my iron level was fine, and it was never brought up again. I didn t realize how dangerous it can be, and I am wondering if now that I no longer have periods if the issues I am having now could be signs that it is resurfacing? Should I ask my doctor for certain blood tests, and are there any other tests I should be asking for? I am 5 1, now weigh 160, and the only other medical issue I have is restless leg syndrome, which seems to have gotten less bothersome over the past couple of years, and am so tired all the time I feel like I can sit down and go to sleep at all times of the day. Do you have any advice on this?
Sun, 1 Jan 2012
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests ,  
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
Haemochromatosis can be associated with excess iron in the body which can deposit in various organs and cause respective problems. You could be at risk for diabetes which makes it essential to get your blood sugar tested. Also check your liver function by various tests as exercised by your Doctor's discretion. Even heart and joints can be involved which needs to be assessed by your Doctor. What medications are you taking. Do you have joint pain, shortness of breath, chest pain, excessive sleepiness, weakness.
I find this answer helpful
General Surgeon Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh's  Response
welcome to healthcaremagic
please consult physician and get a check up
if you have ever been diagnosed with the problem of haemochromatosis ,get consultation with haematologist and get the tests done to have a diagnosis and treatment
serum iron level estimation will tell you whether you are having the problem and if it is there tests to be done to find out the cause and rule out any haemolytic problem

I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hi I recently missed my period. I am 47 years old and my periods have always been on time and regular with no problems over the years. I have 2...

Recent questions on  Chest pain

doctor1 MD

hi i am ischemia .i was using embetea am 50.i was well .know another doctor suggest me to take nicardia retard,ciplar 20, and dilzem 30.after using...

doctor1 MD

Hi, my name is vickie I am a 45 year old female. I had symptoms of heart attack from 2000-2008 I had been seen several times at doctors office &...

doctor1 MD

hello i jst had a chest pain 2days back... den went for a ECG whch was nrmal... & a di dimer test whch was also nrmal... but stl i ve a little...

doctor1 MD

Hi.I am a 23 year old male, about 5' 11" and weight approx 11.5 stone. I have developed a pupuric rash on my penis and my feet about 2 weeks ago. I...

doctor1 MD

getting pain in some parts of chest in random time any type of injections for D3 and B12 and dose for same as per reports

doctor1 MD

I started having symptoms about 7 weeks ago. Head congestion, then chest congestion, some fever, a cough, shortness of breath , and now pain in my...

doctor1 MD

i. I am 30 year old obese when I tried to laugh too hard had strange feeling in head for a second.later next day I laughed even harder this time...