Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for severe cough and chest pain when diagnosed with whooping cough

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3036 Questions
I started having symptoms about 7 weeks ago. Head congestion, then chest congestion, some fever, a cough, shortness of breath, and now pain in my chest under my left breast. (always after eating or drinking and random, when not, pain is worse when I have cold food or drinks). I have had the following tests: Multiple chest x-rays, endoscopy, motility study, upper GI, CT scan of lungs, ultra sound of heart, EKG, and blood tests. Blood work includes cardiac and pancreas enzymes and more recently Whooping Cough, which came back positive. Over the course of the last 7 weeks, I have been treated with 3 rounds of z-packs, steroids, Augmentin, Omnicef, and OTC allergy meds. The congestion appears to be gone, but I still have a bad cough, which is preventing normal activities. The pain in my chest prevents me from everyday routines.
Fri, 18 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take Inhaler for a short course.

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Welcome to Healthcare Magic. I am Dr Anshul Varshney for your help.
I would term your condition as Allergic Bronchitis. Such bronchitis takes 3-4 weeks to respond and I feel that you are in response phase only
At this point of time best way out to reduce cough and chest pain is to take Inhalers containing Formetrol and Budesonide for a short course.
Taking it for 2 weeks would give you complete recovery.
Do hot fomentation of the affected area and apply volini gel to your chest.
I hope it helps you.
If you have any further query please ask me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor