Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

What is the cure for chest contraction and back muscle that developed after tuberculosis in lungs and terminal ileum?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1774 Questions
Dear Sir, I got infected from tuberculosis in lungs and terminal ileum during 1998 i.e. 15 years back. the same got treated fully and I got cured. but I always feel like contraction in my chest and back muscle. Is there any cure for this. I visited doctors several times but after checkup they found nothing adverse.
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Physiotherapy and TEN may be helpful Detailed Answer: Namaste Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXXX, The presenting complaints seem unrelated to the tuberculosis you had. By the term contraction in chest and back muscle I guess you meant stiffness in the back muscle. I also hope there is no swelling, radiating pain. I would like to have some more information 1. Is there any relationship between the contraction and physical activity? 2 Have X-ray/MRI scan been done to rule out any spinal abnormality? What other investigation have been done If the physician has investigated you thoroughly and has not found any other abnormality then there seems to be no cause for concern. I would suggest you 1. Proper posture while sitting/working- the spine should be properly supported 2. Bed mattress should neither be too soft or too firm. 3. Avoid lifting excessive weight and bending forward 4. If it's due to spasm- Physiotherapy and Trascutaneous electric nerve stimulation(TEN) will be helpful I hope it helped Do get back to me if you have any other query Take care Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the cure for chest contraction and back muscle that developed after tuberculosis in lungs and terminal ileum? 42 hours later
Dear Doctor, Thank you for your recommendation, I would be working on that. As you rightly diagnosed its stiffness in the back muscle (center point center point for me) Further, I feel stretch like feeling around/surrounding the center point and the effect/feeling of which ends downward near hip and upward near lower jaw. > it was first felt by me 15 years back with severe weakness which was diagnosed as tuberculosis (lungs as well as terminal ilem) as already be discussed to you. The same was fully cured after medication. >the pain/stiffness is continuous for last 15 year. >feeling is round the clock > It increases after physical work and when also empty stomach >Breathing exercise like YOGA gives relief but for some time say a day. >using vibrator/massager give temporary relief to a great extant but not permanent >if I stop exercise for few days stiffness increases, if feel uneasy. >I have no smoking/alcohol habit and never had it >I am a Banker and working environment/ambiance is also almost conducive, mostly air-conditioned. > First, Kindly suggest if any medicine for some time if taken may reduce stiffness or supplementary food. > Second, for TEN treatments should I need to visit clinic or it can be used in home after having machine. >I am doing yoga for long; I would be resorting to some physiotherapist soon as advised by you. Regards,
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: TEN is best administered by physiotherapist Detailed Answer: Namaste Dear Mr XXXXX I would suggest you to try using combination of NSAID like Diclofenac Sodium and skeletal muscle relaxant like Chlorzoxazone. There are many brands available in the market and are available over the counter. I would again stress the need for thorough evaluation by MRI scan of spine to rule out any disc pathology. Coming to your second query, TEN cannot be done at home. The procedure is best done by experienced physiotherapist. Wishing you healthy and pain free life. Take care Regards Dr T Shobha MBBS,MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor