Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for severe pain around the shoulders

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 1210 Questions
a couple months ago, my left shoulder was very painful....then about two months ago, the pain moved to my right shoulder and arm. Now, I can't lift my arm above my shoulder without excruciating pain, can't reach to my back without pain, pain is constant from shoulder to elbow and lately I've started noticing some pain to the right side of my neck.
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

The symptoms that you have mentioned are classical signs of a condition called FROZEN SHOULDER.

In this condition,the soft tissues and muscles around the shoulder joint get adhered to each other.This results in a stiff and a non-flexible shoulder joint.

This usually happens due to unknown strain of the shoulder muscles or sleeping on one side of the body for prolonged periods of time.

The only and the best treatment for this condition is Physiotherapy.

This includes active and passive shoulder movement exercises and short wave diathermy.The exercises will give you some amount of pain initially,but later on,as the adhered muscles start to heal,the pain will get lesser.

Anti-inflammatory muscle relaxant tablets like tramadol with thiocolchicoside,chlorzoxazone will help reduce pain to some extent.

Application of analgesic liniments or ointments followed by hot fomentation should be done 1 hour before starting the exercises.

If these measures do not help,you should consult an orthopedist and get a Xray/MRI of the shoulder done.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor