Suggest treatment for severe pain around the shoulders

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
a couple months ago, my left shoulder was very painful....then about two months ago, the pain moved to my right shoulder and arm. Now, I can't lift my arm above my shoulder without excruciating pain, can't reach to my back without pain, pain is constant from shoulder to elbow and lately I've started noticing some pain to the right side of my neck.
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
FROZEN SHOULDER

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

The symptoms that you have mentioned are classical signs of a condition called FROZEN SHOULDER.

In this condition,the soft tissues and muscles around the shoulder joint get adhered to each other.This results in a stiff and a non-flexible shoulder joint.

This usually happens due to unknown strain of the shoulder muscles or sleeping on one side of the body for prolonged periods of time.

The only and the best treatment for this condition is Physiotherapy.

This includes active and passive shoulder movement exercises and short wave diathermy.The exercises will give you some amount of pain initially,but later on,as the adhered muscles start to heal,the pain will get lesser.

Anti-inflammatory muscle relaxant tablets like tramadol with thiocolchicoside,chlorzoxazone will help reduce pain to some extent.

Application of analgesic liniments or ointments followed by hot fomentation should be done 1 hour before starting the exercises.

If these measures do not help,you should consult an orthopedist and get a Xray/MRI of the shoulder done.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.