What do my lab test results indicate?

Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Dear Dr. XXXXXXX
Thank you for your earlier instructions, which helped me get rid of my discomfort. Below is my new problem.
Of late, I have been having some body pain. Previously from time to time I was diagnosed with cervical spondylosis (neck), back pain (waist region), tennis elbow, frozen shoulders and recently onset of osteoarthritis (knee; the doctor commented, ‘just started, but my legs are better than other people at my age’, 68+.). So far, everything was under control. Recently I had muscle pain in my back (as diagnosed by doctor). I was given pregabalin capsules (Lyrica 75 mg, once daily) along with aceclophenac-paracetamol-rabeprazole tablet once daily. for two weeks. However, after 9th day I found my feet swollen. Although I have been taking selokane xl 25 and amlodac 5 for quite some time, I never had this problem. So I stopped taking lyrica. Eventually the swelling subsided, but I am having mild pain in my ankles after walking for some time. And at the end of the day I find a little swelling of feet, which subsides after some time. The back pain also came down. Now I am having neck pain. I am doing the earlier advised exercises, but it is bothering me. I took xerodol (without paracetamol) for five days (2 tab per day). The pain disappeared, but again came back. I am taking Calpol 650. It helps a little. In the mean time I conducted blood test, which was earlier advised by my cardiologist; no gross heart problem). I am enclosing the results. Six months back I had lipid and liver fuction test done. Everything was within normal limits. I have to take atorvastatin.
In recent blood test results, TSH is slightly above and Vit D is below normal levels. Six months back also TSH just crossed the upper normal limit. ESR is slightly high. Please note that I suffer from excessive tension. I earlier had two bouts of depression (one little less than severe, and the other mild). Recently I had to go through intense worries and tension. All the above problems surfaced after that. My blood pressures generally lie around 130/80.
Please suggest what I should do or take.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestive of side effects of some prescribed medications.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir, Hi & Good evening.
Thanks for posting your query on Health Care Magic.

After having gone through the history and the results of various lab tests done I am of the opinion that you seem to have developed side effects due to some of the prescribed medications like Lyrica (Pregablin) & Amlodac.

However, I would like to know the some more information from your side like-

1. Have you noticed any weight gain?
2. Do you suffer from constipation or cold intolerance?
3. Kindly give the exact level of TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) ?

Awaiting your reply for better analysis and suggestions.
Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 2 hours later
My reply:
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX
1. I gained 1 -2 kg weight in the last one year
2. Although I do not suffer from constipation, I am an IBS patient. I was on IBS medication (chlorodiazoepoxide -rabeprazole-vizylac) two or three times. About cold intolerance -- I can tolerate cold, but I frequently suffer from rhinitis. I just finished a course of telekast-F for one month.
3.Sorry! The blood report I attached did not show the TSH. It is
TSH (CMIA/ECI) 5.17 μIU/ml Method-CMIA Ref. range: 0.35 - 4.94

My current problems are: body pain (neck, waist), which responds to xerodol. Is there any Vit D issue? Vit D 25 hydroxy 12.20 ng/ml Method: CMIA Ref. range: 30-40
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Suspicious of Hypothyroidism with Vitamin D deficiency.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir, Hi & Welcome.
Thanks for your reply, noted its contents.

1. The TSH level is HIGH with normal thyroid hormones (T3 & T4) which is suggestive of "Subclinical hypothyroidism". You need to take Levothyroxine (thyroid hormone) so as to maintain the TSH level below 4 μIU/ml.

2. The Vitamin D (25-OH vitamin D) level is below 20 ng/ml which is suggestive of Vitamin D deficiency which can be corrected by dietary supplement such as cod liver oil, fortified milk and Vitamin D3+Calcium supplement such as Macalvit chewable tablets. You are also advised to have adequate exposure to sun light especially between 10 PM - 2 PM for the Vitamin D production in the skin.

3. Zerodol (Aceclofenac) is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory which can be used to relieve pain and swelling.

Since these are prescription medications, I therefore advise you to consult a physician for further evaluation and follow up.

Hope the suggestions given above would be useful.
Best regards.