What causes weight loss with right abdominal pain and bloating?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, I feel pain under my right rib , I've went to the doctors all my liver function tests were normal or in range . Alt dropped from 74 to 53 . Doctors said I'm fine . No cirrhosis but I'm not convinced. I haven't had an appetite in almost three months . I've went from 260 down to 225 I feel bloated and tired all the time even after sleep stools have changed as well small skinny yellowish pale . I can hear my spleen making weird noises along with the pains in my right liver area. Could the doctors have missed something ? They always just send me home. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following advice...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking
I read carefully all your concerns and I can say as follows:

1. You are reporting that your ALT levels dropped from 74 to 53. I would like to know if you have done all the exams to rule out viral liver damage. Moreover, if you have done serologic test for viral hepatitis please can you send it to me.

2. You are reporting to be 225 lb overweight. Obesity can cause elevated liver panel from fatty liver, tiredness.

3. With regards to your symptoms like bloating and right abdominal pain it may be related with:
- Gallbladder issues
- IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).

To my opinion you need to:
- consult a dietitian to lose weight in controlled way.
- do abdominal ultrasound to rule out gallbladder issues
- avoid alcohol, caffeine and chocolate
- avoid unnecessary stress
- increase physical activity

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Klerida
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 3 hours later
I have had an ultra sound and ct scan . Ultra sound said that I have sludge in my gallbladder . Cut scan showed fullness of the liver .not sure what that means . Also I've been experiencing pain in spleen and liver areas. Gurgling sounds and feeling of fullness and bloating like stated before. The doctors I have keep saying I'm fine but I still feel tired. Fatigued. Loss of appetite along with all the bloating and pains . I've had cbc panels done liver function panels as well . The doctors keep saying I'm fine and basically blow me off . What should I say to warrant their attention. Thank you :)
Also did all blood test for hep and mono and most viral. All came back negative.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow

Detailed Answer:
Hi back

You are reporting to have sludge in gallbladder and this finding may explain your symptoms like bloating fullness and right pain.
If you were my patient would recommend to start treatment for gallbladder sludge.

Please discuss with your doctor to start ursodeoxicolic acid to avoid gallbladder stone formation and eliminate the sludge.

Fullness of the liver on Cat scan probably is related with fatty liver due to overweight.
I am glad to know that your blood tests for hepatitis come back normal.

Wish you all the best
Dr.Klerida
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Thanks for the response. So I shouldn't be worried about having cirrhosis ? For some reason I feel like I have it .
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are not having liver cirrhosis. ..

Detailed Answer:
Hi back

Your medical data are not related with cirrhosis.

There is nothing to be worried about it.

Wish you all the best!
Dr.Klerida
Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It's my pleasure

Detailed Answer:
Hi back

It's my pleasure helping you.

Dr.Klerida