Can ingesting protein supplements cause traces of protein in urine reports?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2018 in General Health
Question: after blood and urine tests: "small protein" in urine. otherwise all normal. I've had high protein intake for month prior to test. Can ingesting protein sups cause the small protein?

The only other thing is ALT AST were elevated a little in prior blood test ( 30 days prior to urine test) and blood re-due showed alt and ast s returning to normal, not increasing. Primary doc was not concerned with this and but he ordered an ultra sound as precaution. It was unremarkable .

So, we have only the paper from VA doc who ordered the urine culture to look for infections. infections: neg. Just her remark "small protein" and to start taking the Flomax" for BPH
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,
I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns ,

however high protein diet can indirectly cause increased proteins in urine.. high protein diet means that the kidney have to make more urine to eliminate the resulting waste products , this leads to dehydration . dehydration can lead to proteins detected in urine. So I would recommend that you drink plenty of fluids ( at least eight cups daily ).

Also high protein diet leads to excretion on the liver, that might cause the increased ALT and AST levels so I would recommend that you limit the protein intake to 50-70 grams per day if your weight was 70-90 kilos which is the healthy protein daily intake.

I hope you find this helpful..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj