• question-icon

High ALT and AST levels. Done blood test. Cause?

ALT and AST raising from 95 to 160 to 260 in 3 months I had the flu in late October 2012, and one evening I suddenly fainted and passed out for about 30 seconds at work but regained conscious without help, and my blood pressure and blood sugar levels were normal according to emergency medical staff. Had my first bloody test a few days later, and my ALT/AST levels were 95 and everything else were normal. A new bloody test was done in mid December 2012 - everything was normal but the ALT and AST raised to 160. Tests for Hepatitis A B C were all negative. In early January, I had another bloody sample taken and also had an ultrasound examination of my abdominal area and nothing seemed to be wrong with my liver, gallbladder , kidney etc. The third blood test results showed today that my ALT and AST raised to 260. I still do not have any symptons such as pain or yellowing in the eyes. I am not on any medication (except some Paracetamol when had the cold, with Phenylephrine Hydrichoride for blocked nose - contained in Lemsip). I am 24, 6ft and 70kg. Generally very healthy. The doctor seems to be puzzled and will refer me to a Hematologist . Has anyone else experienced similar problems? What could be the cause of the slow but steady increase of my ALT AST? PLEASE HELP! Many thanks.
Tue, 15 Oct 2013
Gastroenterologist, Surgical 's  Response
Hello there,
Sometimes viral flu can also result in an elevation of the AST & ALT. The hepatitis viral markers were already negative as you have conveyed. I suggest you get the Liver function tests repeated 3-4 weeks after the flu has resolved. if the AST & ALT are still elevated at that point of time I recommend doing a lipid profile, iron and copper studies and then if indicated after seeing the above reports a liver biopsy may be indicated.
Hope I have answered your query you get well soon. I will be available in case of any further queries.
Dr. Prashantha S. Rao