• question-icon

What causes syphilis?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: For last more than 30 yrs small patches at one or two places on the cover skin and some time on the ring base of penis are seen , twice or thrice in a year , gets cured be few drop of tinaderm solution. Now i am suffering with fistla,piles apart from the recurrence of round patches on the penis are,as usual. I suspectmy self suffering with syphilis. Pls advised.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I think these round patches maybe fungal in nature,

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to health care magic,

Can you upload a photo of the rash, so that I can pinpoint diagnosis? Also why do you suspect suffering from syphilis?

I think these round patches maybe fungal in nature, especially since they responded to Tinaderm. You will need to take antifungal medicine - Fluconazole tablets orally for eight weeks to totally eradicate the infection, along with Tinaderm locally. Fluconazole can have side effects, therefore take it only after examination by a doctor.

A local scraping and examining under microscope will give definitive diagnosis.
For Piles and fistula, keep your stools soft with soluble Isabgol like Naturolax one big spoon in a big glass of clean water at night.

Also use a good piles ointment like Anovate or Shield. If the fistula does not heal, you may require surgery

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later
Heartiest thanks for the quick response, Mam
The reason of suspicion is because during the year of 1983 , i occasionally used to make physical relationship with local girls /call girls in kolkatta and from that Very
period these small patches occured in long intervals as infomed , cured by few drop of tinaderm solution. Now the tinaderm is not available in the market and first time i was compelled to use Beclo-C (Clotrimazole and Beclomethasone Dipropionate Lotion). This is not so effective as Tinaderm but serve the purpose any how. It is not possible to send pics, as desired. Shall I go for VDRL test if Yes, to what specialized doctor i should consult here in XXXXXXX
Kindly reply.......

Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
My answer--

Detailed Answer:
Hi, sorry for delayed response. There was a system problem.
You can use quadriderm cream locally. Plus Fluconazole 150 mg once a week for 8 weeks to totally eradicate the infection. But Fluconazole is a prescription drug--please get it prescribed by your doctor--do not use without prescription.
Since your exposure was in 1983 I do not feel you have Syphilis, but to be on the safe side---get a VDRL done.
Regards and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Geeta Sundar 16 hours later
Mam
As advised i went for VDRL and the result came negative. I consulted doctor who prescribed me IT-mac 200 to be taken one each in the morning and evening for 7 days and to apply Zole F skin ointment locally. He also diagnosed fungal infection. Kindly examine and comment upon the prescribed medicines keeping in view its side effect etc. Further, i started taking medicines (auyervedic capsules) for piles. Can i take both the prescribed medicines for two problems together? Is it in safer side? After taking IT-mac 200, i fell little dizziness and uncomfort.
Kindly advised in details.
Regards........
Brief Answer:
Answer

Detailed Answer:
'I am glad. and am sure you will recover soon--keep in touch with your doctor. Regards'
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Geeta Sundar