What causes persistent sore throat with excessive mucus in a teenager?

Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I've had a sore throat for at least over 2 years now. Every day I wake up to spit out a large amount of mucus and then I spit it out a few more times a day.

These are my normal days. If I am travelling to a colder area and/or have a 2-3 sips of coke/fanta, etc...I get the full on extreme flu with starting from throat pain for the first and then flu for the next week or so. Then it is back to the sore throat. Even if I have a small amount of cold water or ice cream, I get to the 'peak' before I know I will have a full on flu the next day, and I stop there.

I am an 18 year old male.
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be allergic rhino sinusitis

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns that you are having sore throat since 2 years. I would like to ask you few more details.

Is there running nose or episodes of sneezes or nasal blockage ?
Is there any belching or heart burn or pain abdomina ?

Kindly get back to me with the details.

As per your clinical details, it appears to be chronic pharyngitis secondary to allergic rhino sinusitis ( upper stream) or acid peptic disease (lower stream) or due to allergy to consumed foods.

I suggest you to do complete blood picture, ESR, absolute eosinophilic count and X-Ray para nasal sinuses to localise the cause for your symptoms.

In the mean time, stop spitting or stop hawking of phlegm ( which causes mucosal injury), where your soe throat still worsens. Do salt water gargle.

Hope this answers your question, if you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 34 minutes later
Thank you for your reply.

"Is there running nose or episodes of sneezes or nasal blockage ?"

I have noticed that usually one side of my nose (either the right of the left) is usually blocked. Sometimes I am running, or doing something quick (like a jump, or falling down) and it opens up for a while. Not sure if this is related.

I am not sure of any specific 'episodes' of this however. I don't have any episodes of sneezes except that I have to do the early morning hawking to spit out the phelgm and then some more hawking around the day. I also don't usually have a running nose, only an occasional clearing of the nose when I am spitting out the phelgm. There is not a lot of mucus/phelgm coming out of the nose.

"Is there any belching or heart burn or pain abdomina?"

No, none of this.

"I suggest you to do complete blood picture, ESR, absolute eosinophilic count and X-Ray para nasal sinuses to localise the cause for your symptoms."

I currently live in Lahore, Pakistan. As I don't know these any of tests, do you have any recommendations of hospitals where I can get these done? Do any of these tests require written doctor's approval?

"In the mean time, stop spitting or stop hawking of phlegm ( which causes mucosal injury), where your soe throat still worsens. Do salt water gargle."

Can you please further explain this. How do I bring out all the phelgm with a salt water gargle? I understand that I hurt my throat further by hawking but if I don't bring out all the phelgm, it will stay in my throat?

To add to this, I currently am getting the full on flu. I was travelling with friends in cold/mountainous areas (around 5C temperature on nights since its summer) and was feeling that I was on the 'edge' of getting a flu just because of the weather. Unfortunately I had 2 small sips of medium-cold Fanta, and I already started feeling that I would be getting the full on flu in the next days. The next day, my throat started hurting. The next day, the throat kept on worsening and got extremely bad. I was also travelling back to Lahore on this night. I sent you my message in the morning before I slept. I just woke up and have an extremely sore throat with mild flu. This will turn into full on flu and then finish in about a week. I know this because it has happened several times in the past 2+ years.

Thank you for your help! It is greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergic Sinusitis- chilled weather

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Thanks for considering my answer and for your follow up.

Answers for your queries.

1. Nasal blockage with post nasal drip ( sinus secretions dripping back into throat) indicated deviated nasal septum with sinusitis.

2. Yes. you need to discuss with local doctor for investigations and further management.

3. Chilled weather (5 degrees) with chilled drinks, definitely cause allergic symptoms.

4. Repeated hawking can clear the airway, but mucosal injury with stasis of phlegm can be cleared by salt water gargle. Salt water is a hypertonic solution, will remove the sticked phlegm.

5. For your symptoms, you can start over the counter tab. cerizine 10 mg ( cetrizine) once daily at bed time with simple panadol 500 mg twice daily (paracetamol) for throat pain till you see a doctor.

6. You can check with Prof. Israr XXXXXXX at Lahore general hospital.

All the best. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad