• question-icon

What causes painful pus filled red sores on the scalp?

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I had a scalp biopsy done. Symptoms red sores with fluid and then gum like scales very painful for 8 months. Now red bumps no longer a sore but scales will not come off went to dermatogist and they took a lot of pictures and did biopsy, and blood work for lupus,havent got results. Just want this stuff off my scalp . Cant feel running water on scalp, just want my scalp released from this tight cap like feel

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see as follows

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern.

Although I would need more information as to how long has this been going on, whether it is itchy or not, just by the description and excluding a parasitic or fungal infection. Given the failure of treatment with ketoconazole and triamcinolone, I am inclined to think it is eczema.

If you haven't tried it yet, I'd suggest you give Zinc Pyrithione and Salicylic acid a try. This will usually help get rid of the scales and flakes. Also rubbing virgin olive oil on the scalp and leave it overnight may bring considerable relief.

However, the biopsy is the gold standard in this case and it will give the definitive answer as to the real underlying cause. So without the results, there is little we can do to figure the correct diagnosis.

I hope this helps.
Wishing you good health and all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
I said over 8 months and yes it was very itching and inflammated. Could it be cancer. Don't know why they didn't know by seeing. Could it be cancer. They wouldn't even say what they thought it could be
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it could.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, it may be basal cell carcinoma or squamous cell cancer. However, doctors prefer to err on the cautious side when it comes to confirming and delivering such diagnosis. Other diagnosis need to meticulously be taken in consideration and ruled out.
The duration and persistence of the lesion and the scales that don't go away, or return after being scraped off point to a diagnosis of cancer.
Ultimately, the biopsy results hold the definitive answer.
I hope this answers your question but if you have further questions questions I'd be happy to answer them.
Wishing you good luck and all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ornela Ademovi