• question-icon

What causes frequent urination and burning sensation during urination?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Infections
Question: I have sore throat for over 2 weeks, and I feel like I am coming down with a flu almost every night for 2 weeks. I go to pee almost every hour, and my urine feels very hot but clear. Also I have unbearable hot flashes. I used to have hot flashes, but it was bearable, but now it is unbearable. and sometimes, I feel hot and cold at the same time. I am 66 years old. I have my thyroid removed in 2005 and a hysterectomy in 1995. a stent put in last year.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hormone tests

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to note your troublesome symptoms.

Sometimes when your thyroid medication dose is excessive, symptoms similar to the ones you are reporting can occur.

When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your 3 month glucose average)
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
TSH
Free T4
25 hydroxy Vitamin D
None of these tests require any fasting and can be done at any time of the day
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 8 hours later
Dr. Topiwala: Thank you for your reply!

I just have all my blood work done in Feb and everything is ok. but I am going to see my GI doctor this afternoon and ask for a copy of a blood work result and I will write you more and see if I need to repeat the test that you mentioned above. I suspect it is thyroid problems, but how can you explain this consistent sore throat? I am seeing and ear, eye and nose doctor but it is not until April. thanks Dr. Topiwala. will get back to you after I see the doctor today.
I got my blood work back today which is collected on Feb 10, 16. The negative result are as follow:
Sugar serum: 104
Total cholesterol: 216
Triglycerides: 173
Ferritin serum: 240

My Ferritin is extremely high, what does it mean? and what you can recommend me to do.
I am going for urine test, also Free T3 and Free T4, and A1C tomorrow.

Your answer is most appreciated.
regards,
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Show the ferritin report to your family doctor. If there is major concern you will be referred to a Hematologist
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist