Can anesthesia be used for an enlarged heart?

Dr. Manuel C See IV

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: hi im having a kidney stone removed and a new stent put in but i found out i have an enlarged heart i was told that you cant use anasthsia on an enlarged heart also will they send me to a cardologist before surgery

how long does it take to get an answer

Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Enlarged heart doesn't mean surgery can't be done.

Detailed Answer:
Good day and thank you for being with healthcare magic!

Enlarged heart is a very non specific findings and doesn't automatically mean that surgery can no longer be done. It will depend on the risk stratification of the cardiologist. Stent insertion and stone surgery is usually done endoscopically and minimally invasive.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Manuel C See IV 9 minutes later
so will they send me to a cardiologist first before surgery so is that true though on an en larged heart you cant use anasthesia

also what does minimally invasive mean
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes cardiologist first before surgery.

Detailed Answer:
Yes you need to see a cardiologist first before any form of surgery and anesthesia. The cardiologist would do examinations to further investigate your cardiac status and whether risks of surgery would be outweighed by the benefit to you.

No it is not true that if you have an enlarged heart anesthesia can no longer be done. It would depend on the status of your heart and how strong your heart as a pump. The cardiologist would be in a better position to explain this.

Minimally invasive surgery (MIS) is how we perform stone surgeries now a days without using big skin incisions and risks are lower and recovery are faster.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Manuel C See IV 39 minutes later
but the ekg came back normal so im wondering if urgent care doctor may have made a mistake
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to see specialist.

Detailed Answer:
EKG determines / measures the impulses around the heart. 2d echo is needed to accurately measure heart dimensions and determine if you have heart valve emergency
Follow up: Dr. Manuel C See IV 1 hour later
so we need a clearance from a cardiolgist correct

what is a 2 d echo
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes clearance from cardiology prior to anesthesia.

Detailed Answer:
Yes you need to see the cardiologist for clearance and risk stratification prior to surgery.

2D echo is a test using ultrasound to check the sizes of the heart chambers and to measure how to pump action of the heart.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T