What causes colic pain?
pain last week and granny did home remedy. She took beetle leaf and applied castor oil to it, she kept that on candle to heat it and then kept the heated beetle leaf on baby's tummy. This worked well and Baby got instant relief from colic.
However the leaf was kept on her tummy for overnight and Baby has now developed rough texture on skin and also it has become red
We applied Bepanthen for few days but still no improvement. We have attached today's pic of the skin
The skin shows signs of irritation
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
It is a common XXXXXXX practice to put heated betel leaf along with oils over the abdomen in order to relieve gastrointestinal problems. But if you would believe me, the colics occur due to abdominal distention which occur due to intake of air along with food. Simply waiting for the air to come up, i.e. what we refer to as burping, is enough to provide relief. All you have to do is to hold the baby in erect posture for 15-20 mins after the feeds. The credit might go to the betel leaf but the relief would have come otherwise in the same time anyway.
I have gone through the attached image. There is some amount of allergic reaction to the irritants that you had put over the abdomen. You need not worry. Apply some emollients like aloe vera lotion or calamine lotion and it should provide relief. If needed you can also give cetirizine syrup alongside for a few days.
You need not worry. It should be back to normal in a few days' time.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for autism spectrum disorder
- What causes loose stools post cesarean operation?
- Suggest treatment for rash on a 4 yr old
- What do light colored skin patches on thigh indicate?
- Suggest treatment for fever and sore throat in a child
- What causes swelling in head of an infant?
- Can Taxim O Forte and Vizylac be given together?
- Suggest treatment for anorectal malformation in a down syndrome child
- What causes vomiting after feeding breast milk?
- Suggest treatment for persistent high fever