What causes white discharge from the eye and red patches on the body?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor,
My baby is 10 days old and having a white discharge from left eye and rashes of red patches with white in the middle on body.
What could be the reason ?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Swabbing the eyes should help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. The reason for the mentioned problem is an eye infection which is often seen in newborn babies. I would insist you to swab the eyes with cottoned wettened in lukewarm water, from the inner angle of the eye moving from inside to the outer angle. Use separate swab for each eye. Do this a few times a day based on requirement. Usually that suffices. If it does not, antibiotic drops like Ciprofloxacin would be needed.

I would insist you to upload an image of the red patches. I would guide you accordingly.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 19 minutes later
Attached the image of rashes.
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
I have checked the attached image. Let me assure you that for children upto 3 months of age it is normal to get rashes on the skin. It is called erythema toxicum. Unlike the name, it is absolutely harmless and needs no intervention and is not a cause for concern. Sometimes some white dots called milia can also be present along. They too are not a cause for concern and are caused due to deposition of dead cells under the skin.

They are not due to allergic cause or heat rashes. No intervention needed. You can however use some moisturizer like aloe vera lotion.

Feel free to write back.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 days later
Thank you.
One more query, since today morning 4 am by baby didnt urinate. Also he is into deep sleep to feed him today .
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Feeding seems inadequate

Detailed Answer:
Just feed the baby more often, the child should pass urine. If the feeding is inadequate the child will not pass urine.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj