Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

188 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes clear discharge from the nipple in a 64 year old?

Answered by
Dr. Rakhi Tayal


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 13578 Questions

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Women's Health
Question: I noticed last night that my nipple felt wet and left a wet spot on the nightgown. I looked at the nipple and saw a drop of clear fluid coming out of a tiny duct, and then another. What could be causing this, and it is a serious problem? I do not take estrogen pills but I do use Estrace estrogen cream about once every week or two as prescribed by my gynecologist. I'm almost due for my next mammogram. Should I call and get that done asap?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing worrisome.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

Breast discharge, whether clear, milky, watery, yellow or even bloody, may also be the result of hormonal changes that lead to lumpy breasts, a condition known as "breast nodularity." Another condition linked to changes in estrogen and progesterone levels is called "duct ectasia." It typically occurs just after menopause and may result in discharge. Sometimes this discharge can continue for months or even years.

Certain medications, including estrogen, oral contraceptives and medicines used to treat heartburn and stomach ulcers, can also cause nipple discharge. However, in rare instances breast discharge can be a sign of a breast cancer. In a study four percent of the women with nipple discharge had an associated breast cancer, but they also usually had a lump that could be felt. Discharge related to breast cancer usually appears on only one breast and is rarely bloody. Overall, just one to 5 percent of all breast cancers are related to a nipple discharge.

The bottom line is that if you're concerned, have your breasts examined by your health care professional - both to rule out any problem and to provide you with peace of mind. Depending on what the examination finds, your doctor may want you to have a mammogram or breast ultrasound, or may want to perform a biopsy to examine a sample of breast tissue for any signs of cancer.
There is nothing to worry or any emergency.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thank you. I actually do take a prescription medication for chronic heartburn: Aciphex or its generic form. I will take your advice and schedule a mammogram and possibly ultrasound depending on my doctor's viewing of the results. Thank you for being available for further questions. Your response was very informative and I appreciate how quickly I received it.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.
I am happy I could help.
Please do recommend our services to others too in case you found them helpful. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Wishing you the best in whatever you do.
Best regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Progesterone

doctor1 MD

hello doctor , this is anushka i am 29year old , weight 70kg, height 5.6, asking about taking nidagen-200 , in last 1 1/2 year back pregnancy i got aborted in 2 months because of bleeding (and also that time i was taking Progesterone capsules) now the question is as of now i am concieve (1 1/2 month ) and taking Nidagen-200 , is this is safe or is this was the reason for my miscarriage .

doctor1 MD

Hello. I had a complete hysterectomy at 44 and do not regret it at all, except for some water retention in my belly which I take a water pill for. I m 49 now and have been taking for 5 years and really all is well. However, recently, I spoke with a DO who said even though I don t have a uterus I should be taking progesterone. Helps with sleep, anxiety, weight gain and bone loss. She prescribed 100 mg. capsule of progesterone once nightly. About to take it tonight....but reading stories has made me wonder. So many different opinions. Any suggestions? Thanks.

doctor1 MD

I have a very light brown discharge on occasion and I am 6 weeks pregnant. I already had one miscarriage in October. My hcg levels are doubling however, I am taking vaginal suppositories of progesterone as mine was low at 8.7. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

doctor1 MD

Hi......I am 5 weeks pregnant....Actually, my pregnancy was conformed while i was on a trip to Mumbai, hence had to see a doctor there. He had prescribed (Folvite - in morning, oral), Dubagest sr 300 (after breakfast, oral) and Duphaston (at bedtime, oral). After i came back to Delhi my gynaecologist made a slight change. She removed Dubagest sr 300 and asked to take Susten-VT (bedtime, vaginal). I wanted to know is taking Duphaston and Susten-VT safe, that too at bedtime. Since both are progesterone. Thanks

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have a cut on my finger and used a triple antibiotic first aid ointment. I am 4 weeks pregnant. Is the ointment harmful for my baby?

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, My last month menstrual cycle started on 31st November and normally it starts a few days ( 3 to 4 days ) earlier each month as compared to the last month. Now, due to a family function I need to be free during the period of 18th XXXXXXX...

doctor1 MD

I had pre cancer cells in 2015 I had them lasered off and I have always had regular periods. Before and after them. In the last 5 to 6 months or a bit more my periods started to last for 12 days and in the last 4 months I have been getting my...