What causes clear discharge from the nipple in a 64 year old?

Question
I noticed last night that my nipple felt wet and left a wet spot on the nightgown. I looked at the nipple and saw a drop of clear fluid coming out of a tiny duct, and then another. What could be causing this, and it is a serious problem? I do not take estrogen pills but I do use Estrace estrogen cream about once every week or two as prescribed by my gynecologist. I'm almost due for my next mammogram. Should I call and get that done asap?
Wed, 9 May 2018 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing worrisome.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

Breast discharge, whether clear, milky, watery, yellow or even bloody, may also be the result of hormonal changes that lead to lumpy breasts, a condition known as "breast nodularity." Another condition linked to changes in estrogen and progesterone levels is called "duct ectasia." It typically occurs just after menopause and may result in discharge. Sometimes this discharge can continue for months or even years.

Certain medications, including estrogen, oral contraceptives and medicines used to treat heartburn and stomach ulcers, can also cause nipple discharge. However, in rare instances breast discharge can be a sign of a breast cancer. In a study four percent of the women with nipple discharge had an associated breast cancer, but they also usually had a lump that could be felt. Discharge related to breast cancer usually appears on only one breast and is rarely bloody. Overall, just one to 5 percent of all breast cancers are related to a nipple discharge.

The bottom line is that if you're concerned, have your breasts examined by your health care professional - both to rule out any problem and to provide you with peace of mind. Depending on what the examination finds, your doctor may want you to have a mammogram or breast ultrasound, or may want to perform a biopsy to examine a sample of breast tissue for any signs of cancer.
There is nothing to worry or any emergency.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
i

Follow-up: What causes clear discharge from the nipple in a 64 year old? 1 hour later
Thank you. I actually do take a prescription medication for chronic heartburn: Aciphex or its generic form. I will take your advice and schedule a mammogram and possibly ultrasound depending on my doctor's viewing of the results. Thank you for being available for further questions. Your response was very informative and I appreciate how quickly I received it.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
welcome.

Detailed Answer:

Hello.
Thank you.
I am happy I could help.
Please do recommend our services to others too in case you found them helpful. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Wishing you the best in whatever you do.
Best regards.