Is application of Triple Antibiotic ointment on a wound during pregnancy harmful?

Question
Hi, I have a cut on my finger and used a triple antibiotic first aid ointment. I am 4 weeks pregnant. Is the ointment harmful for my baby?
Mon, 21 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please share the name of antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank You for contacting HealthcareMagic. My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.

I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way. Can you please share the name of the ointment that you applied? It will help me in guiding you in a better way. Are you on any other medication (including pregnancy related )?

Thank you

Follow-up: Is application of Triple Antibiotic ointment on a wound during pregnancy harmful? 9 minutes later
I am on vaginal progesterone 200 mg and prenatal multi vitamins. The ointment is Original strength triple antibiotic ointment, bacitracin zinc/neomycin sulfate/polymyxin B sulfate. I applied it 3-4 times on a small cut on my finger for 2-3 hours each time.

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dose will not harm

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank You for getting back with the answers. No, it will not cause harm to the baby. FDA has not classified it to pregnancy caution category. Always remember to discuss with your treating doctor before taking any medication (including antibiotic {oral/i/v}).

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help if not then don't forget to close the discussion and rate it.
Wishing you a good health !!