What causes frequent menstrual cycles?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Women's Health
Question: I had pre cancer cells in 2015 I had them lasered off and I have always had regular periods. Before and after them. In the last 5 to 6 months or a bit more my periods started to last for 12 days and in the last 4 months I have been getting my period every 2 weeks. I had a smear just 2 weeks ago but it has come back normal but I am still getting my period every 2 weeks and as I send u this message I have just started them again. Do u have any idea what it might be or what I should ask my GP to do.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably a hormonal issue or fibroids

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
You need an evaluation and may need to see a gynecologist. First off you need a blood test to make sure that you are not anemic with all of that bleeding. There are several possible causes for such bleeding. Hormonal shifts can happen and get your periods off schedule. This can be corrected by a progesterone challenge. It is also possible that you have developed some fibroid tumors. These are benign tumors that in many women cause excessive bleeding. The things that you need first are a CBC (complete blood count) and an ultrasound to look for fibroid tumors. Once they know the cause they can recommend treatment or referral
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 24 minutes later
And what other reasons might be the cause? I mean what else can cause you to have this I am nearly 36
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
other causes are very rare

Detailed Answer:
The uterine fibroids and hormonal changes are by far the most common causes. Uterine cancer is possible but would be very rare at your age. Some underlying bleeding disorder could also be a cause. Again, this would be very rare since if you had this I would have expected it to show up at an earlier age.
Best to you,
Dr. Robinson

Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 11 minutes later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
you are welcome

Detailed Answer:
I hope you get answers soon
Dr. Robinson