Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

What causes bleeding and passing big blood clots after having sex?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5971 Questions
Since having sex early this morning, I have been bleeding and passing big blood clots. What can be done to stop the bleeding?
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: AS BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. I think you should go to the ER. For such severe bleeding, you would require packing and medication, probably an injection of Tranexamic acid. You should get yourself investigated too for this kind and amount of bleeding. Most probably the diagnosis is atrophic vaginitis. This is a condition, where due to age related hormonal deficiency, the local tissues of the vagina get friable and easily bleed and tear. This is treated with local estrogen gel and lubricants during intercourse. Another reason could be a lesion / growth / polyp on the cervix. You need a thorough internal check up - per vaginum and per speculum. ALso, a pelvic transvaginal ultrasound scan. Also, a Pap smear would be in order. IF the bleeding and the clots do not abate, please go the ER for the requisite treatment - an internal examination to rule out major injury and requisite packing and drugs. All the best Please feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor