Can Xarelto cause pink vaginal discharge?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 10 Nov 2017 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I have been taking warfarin for 26 months following PE's caused by an unknown bleed. I have recently changed to Xarelto 20mg, to avoid inr testing. I started taking Xarelto on Thursday 19th this week. I had a slightly pink vaginal discharge by the same night, and yesterday (Friday) and today (Saturday), i have spottings of blood. I am post-menopausal, aged 71. Please advise. Thankyou
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to the recent change to Xarelto.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

The mild spotting that you are having can be due to Xarelto.

You might need to reduce the dose after consulting your physician. Vaginal dryness due to postmenopausal hormonal deficiency can also cause such a problem.

Keeping the vagina moist using XXXXXXX butter or a moisturizer will help. In case the discharge persists then do consult a gynecologist to rule out vaginal infection for any other lesions.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow-up queries that you have.

Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later
Many thanks. Yes i do useReplens (vaginal moisturiser) since breast cancer in 2008... and get lazy about it from time to time and spotting occurs. I will keep a lookouterthe weekend thanks .
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use it regularly.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing in again.

Do use the moisturizer continuously and keep me posted regarding the progress.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Regards.