Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

TSH levels were high during pregnancy. Had MTP. Prescribed thyronorm. How to decrease the TSH level?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1663 Questions

My wife during her pregnancy blood test, dated 25-April-2013, reported TSH (Chemiluminescence) value as 27.40 mcIU/ml. Due to no growth of fetus she went through MTP.

After 1.5 months we got done after consultaion with Physician Thyroid Profile [T3/T4/TSH Total] tests on 5-June 2013, results were T3 (Total): 1.24 ng/ml, T4 (Total): 9.80 ug/ml and TSH (Ultrasensitive): (CLIA) value found to be 6.96 uIU/ml.

Currently, Doctor prescribed 25mcg Thyroxine Sodium Tablets Thyronorm, a tablet daily morning empty stomach.and suggested one month medication and asked us to repeat the Free T4/TSH tests.

We wanted to know how without medication there's a steep decrease in the TSH reading also is it better to start the medication or re-test for thyroid profile needs to be get done before medication.

please advice us.

Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 5 hours later
TSH must be normalized, ideally before conception is planned. The target TSH range is 0.4 to 2. The TSH of 27 in April 2013 was clearly suggestive of the presence of "hypothyroidism'.
That was likely responsible for fetal problems then

Even now the TSH of 6 is abnormally high. Before your wife and you plan a pregnancy, please ensure a normal TSH. This will likely require thyroid medication.

I recommend blood tests for Thyroid peroxidase and Thyroglobulin antibodies with the next set of thyroid function tests like TSH, Total T3, Total T4, free T4 and T3 uptake.

Why the TSH dropped by itself without treatment from 27 to 6 in couple months, is a complex answer. It relates to understanding the natural evolution of a condition called 'thyroiditis'. Like many other endocrine problems, it can be difficult to understand complicated thyroid disorders. I strongly encourage she see an endocrinologist for managing this condition.

For more information, peruse this weblink :
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor