Would iodine supplementation be appropriate for increased weight gain due to hypothyroidism?
I haven't done this before and I would like to know if a Doctor is addressing my question. Thank you-
some more info needed:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
First i would ask about your diagnosis ( Is it Hashimito thyroiditis?) and the last results of the thyroid hormones. Has it been normal under treatment? If yes, you should continue with the same dose and rule out an overproduction of the cortisol ( Cushing syndrome) as the cause of overweight.
Please try to attach the result of thyroid hormones and other exams if you have done.
Will be a pleasure to help you further.
Check for Cushing's syndrome!
If it is Hashimoto thyroiditis all you have to do is to monitor TSH level once a year to be sure the dose you are taking is the right one.
You may discuss with your physician about Cushing's syndrome as a cause of your weight gain. If it is ruled out, then you need a strict diet regimen and physical activity as your metabolism may be very slow due to which there's a lot of struggle involved to maintain a normal weight.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hypothyroidism after iodine treatment
- Loestrin 24 fe iodine hypothyroid
- Hypothyroidism and weight gain
- Hypothyroid weight gain tsh 6
- Radioactive iodine hypothyroidism
- Are unexplained weight gain symptoms of hypothyroidism?
- Hypothyroidism and iodine iodide supplement
- Radioactive iodine treatment for hypothyroidism
- Do you suggest iodine supplements for hypothyroid patients
- Iodine supplements and hypothyroidism