• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe leg pain

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I think my shingles has returned. But I have no rash. Excruciating leg pain re sciatica nerve from buttocks down back of right leg over three weeks now. Treating with Tylenol with cod. 3. It works but in that it is a na rcotic, wonder how long I can stay on it. Am 86 years old. Had serious case of shingles ten years ago was hospitalized then.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Is this the same area where you had shingles ten years ago?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

Shingles can start without the rash but wouldn't take more than a couple of days for the rash to occur. The fact that your rash has not appeared even in the past three weeks doesn't support this. Also, the location and extent of this area is not common with shingles.

I think this is not shingle related pain. The current medications do help and I will suggest you continue with in the interim while you see a doctor comprehensive evaluation and management. This could be sciatica and requires drugs such as Cymbalta alongside analgesics.

Also, you could consider having shingle vaccination as this greatly decreases the chances of having shingles.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well.
Feel free to follow up with me if need be.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Chobufo Ditah