Suggest treatment for lung abscess

Question
Back in January I had trouble breathing. I did smoke then as well. My doctor cked me for tuberculosis after finding a cavity in lung from x ray and better seen on cat scan. Did blood test and skin test, both were negative. Went to a pulmonary specialist a few weeks later, but was feeling better by then. He told me that whatever was in the cavity is not there anymore. He wanted to do a Broncioscopy, but I told him I feel much better. I quit smoking and over time I was able to do more and more in terms of exercise and physical work. 1 month ago I caught a bad cold from my wife that lasted a few weeks, but, that went away and I was back at my normal physical activity feeling great again. 1 and 1/2 weeks ago, I came home from work and my fever shot up and I had chills, no cough. I went to bed with a couple of aspirin and slept through the night and felt ok when I woke up. As the day wore on the fever and chills began to return. Went to bed again, but, when I got up I did not feel well and coughed up dark yellow phlem. No sore throat. I went to the doctor and he said I either had acute bronchitis or I have pneumonia. He gave me a 5 pack of antibiotics. I went home and took the the first dose and went to bed. The next morning my chest was in terrible pain and I was coughing up stuff. Went to be early and the next day seemed a little better. Each day was better althought I noticed I was out of energy just going to the kitchen and back to bed. In the afternoon my fever would come back each day. It's been 9 days since I started and have since stopped the 5 day antibiotic therapy. However, in the late afternoon, my fever begins to come back. It is better than yesterday and the day before. Is this normal or is there something else going on. My wife thinks that I have something else going on. Oh yeah and I never went back to smoking since February.
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of Lung abscess needs to be considered

Detailed Answer:

Greetings of the day

Presence of Persistent fever associated with chills and persisting even after oral antibiotic suggests possibility of Lung abscess. This is more likely especially under of clinical scenario of having been diagnosed with cavity in the lung.
As the fever is still persistent, consultation with your physician is definitely the need of the hour

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Wishing you speedy recovery

Best regards
Dr T Shobha Deepak
MBBS, MD