Is Amoxicillin effective at treating strep throat?

Question
I have strep throat. I started amoxicillin yesterday, but it seems the swelling in my throat is worse. Is this to be expected? How soon should the medication kick in?
Tue, 22 May 2018 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
can take a few days

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The antibiotic would not start having an effect till day 2 in most cases, at that time, the effect would still be minimal but would continue to improve.

The swelling is part of the body's inflammatory response to the infection

You may want to consider the use of anti inflammatory medication such as naproxen, cataflam or ibuprofen. One of these should be able to reduce your discomfort

The use of topical meds such as chloroseptic spray or gargle or covonia throat spray or diflam or soluble aspirin , may also help as well

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions