Suggest treatment for sore throat
Most likely from a viral cause
I have read your query and I understand your concern.
Sore throat has three main causes: Viral, Bacterial (strep throat) and Mononucleosis (specific virus)
Viral sore throat is often associated with temperature less than 101F, running nose and cough, feelings of weakness and drowsiness. It goes away after 4-5 days. It is recommended to consume hot drinks. You may take Tylenol or Advil if it hurts too much while swallowing.
Bacterial sore throat is associated with fever, white islands of pus over the tonsils, no running nose, feeling exhausted and sleepy. This lasts for 5-6 days, and the treatment is usually based on antibiotics, beta-lactams such as augmentin plus Advil for pain and fever.
Mononucleosis is very similar to bacterial sore throat. It has fever, pus on tonsils, but it is also associated with cervical lymph nodes and is NOT treated with antibiotics. Just analgesics like Advil that can lower the fever as well.
Now, it happens sometimes that after a viral sore throat, your immune system is 'tired' and thus you are more susceptible to a bacterial infection.
If this is your case, I would recommend you to visit a doctor and have him/her prescribe you some antibiotic.
But if you don't have any of the symptoms described above for a bacterial sore throat, then it is just a viral one, and it will go away in a couple of more days.
Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for sore throat after fever
- Suggest treatment for recurrent sore throat
- Suggest treatment and prevention of sore throat
- Suggest treatment for cold with sore throat
- Coughing and sore throat suggest the treatment
- Suggest treatment for sore throat and chest
- Suggest treatment for recurring sore throat
- Suggest treatment for sore throat
- Suggest treatment for sore throat and dry cough
- Suggest treatment for sore throat with headache