What do difficulty swallowing, discolored sputum sore throat and chills indicate?

Question
Temperature 103.1
Very bad sore throat
Difficulty swallowing
Discolored sputum
Chills
Tue, 22 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

You are pretty sick and I advise you go in to an urgent care clinic now because this may be strep throat. The doctor should swab your throat to do a rapid strep test which is quite accurate, but if it is negative, the swab should be sent for bacterial culture to make sure. While I am cautious about what I prescribe antibiotics for, because of the development of resistant organisms, strep is one you do want to treat with antibiotics because of the risk of developing rheumatic fever/heart disease if untreated.

It could also be influenza if you are having coughing too. Flu is a viral illness so antibiotics won't help, but it can be risky so you should be checked.

Another possibility, if you are having a lot of coughing in addition to the sore throat is pneumonia, which can also give a high fever. The doctor should listen to your chest, and if he/she feels pneumonia is a possibility, should get a chest X-ray.

Bacterial bronchitis can give a high fever too, and discolored sputum, but most bronchitis is caused by viruses.

So - because of your high fever/chills and the bad sore throat, I do recommend you go in now.

Many urgent care clinics now are staffed with NP and PAs instead of doctors but there is usually a real doctor on site too, and I recommend you ask to be seen by a real doctor if possible. They have more training.

I hope you are feeling better soon. Please let me know if you have any further questions after you have gone in to be seen.