What do difficulty swallowing, discolored sputum sore throat and chills indicate?
Very bad sore throat
You are pretty sick and I advise you go in to an urgent care clinic now because this may be strep throat. The doctor should swab your throat to do a rapid strep test which is quite accurate, but if it is negative, the swab should be sent for bacterial culture to make sure. While I am cautious about what I prescribe antibiotics for, because of the development of resistant organisms, strep is one you do want to treat with antibiotics because of the risk of developing rheumatic fever/heart disease if untreated.
It could also be influenza if you are having coughing too. Flu is a viral illness so antibiotics won't help, but it can be risky so you should be checked.
Another possibility, if you are having a lot of coughing in addition to the sore throat is pneumonia, which can also give a high fever. The doctor should listen to your chest, and if he/she feels pneumonia is a possibility, should get a chest X-ray.
Bacterial bronchitis can give a high fever too, and discolored sputum, but most bronchitis is caused by viruses.
So - because of your high fever/chills and the bad sore throat, I do recommend you go in now.
Many urgent care clinics now are staffed with NP and PAs instead of doctors but there is usually a real doctor on site too, and I recommend you ask to be seen by a real doctor if possible. They have more training.
I hope you are feeling better soon. Please let me know if you have any further questions after you have gone in to be seen.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Throat pain difficulty swallowing
- What causes difficulty swallowing
- Sore throat difficulty swallowing
- Swollen throat difficulty swallowing
- What does sore throat fatigue and chills indicate
- Dry throat and difficulty swallowing
- Congestion sore throat difficulty swallowing
- What are the symptoms of difficulty swallowing?
- Sore throat difficulty swallowing and neck pain
- Can sore throat cause difficulty swallowing?
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis