What does pain in the right shoulder indicate despite taking Aspirin?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have had a pain under my right shoulder blade for about 8 hours. I've taken aspirin and put heat on it no relief
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be a muscular strain.

Detailed Answer:
Your symptoms can be due to heavy pushing or pulling. Strenuous exercises very often bring about muscular strains. Further activities can worsen this pain. I see such events very regularly at my clinic.

If you do not have problems during the movement of the affected shoulder, then I do not think you have caused a major injury. The need to visit the emergency room in such cases depends on the intensity of pain. If the pain is severe, say above 8 on a pain scale, then emergency room visit could be worth it.

If the pain is not such intense, you may consider waiting for few more days. Hot compress the affected part frequently. Avoid any activities involving the affected shoulder and definitely no physical exercises, pushing and pulling. Anti-inflammatory treatment like topical pain balms application and oral drugs like Advil (ibuprofen) 400mg twice a day after food will give added relief.

You can consult an orthopedic directly / through your local physician if the pain remains despite the above measures. X ray of the shoulder and cervical region are entailed.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal