question-icon

What causes swelling of the lips and eyes while having hives on the body?

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2018
Question: 6 days ago my lips swelled up and my eyes swelled shut I had prednisone and it took 40mg to get it down. It came back in about 12 hours and took more prednisone and I had hives on my neck , under arms and in the groin. Went to a doctor and he prescribed 40mg of prednisone daily for three days. That has run out and my syptoms are coming back. Have stopped eating all new foods and supplements 5 days ago. Also have noticed a cough. I take 81mg of asa daily could this be from allergy to asp[irin?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Yes, aspirin can cause allergic reactions.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Your all symptoms are suggestive of allergic reactions.
And yes, aspirin can cause allergic reactions.
But I want to know since how many days you have started taking aspirin.
If you have started aspirin recently then it can be the cause.
Also let me know if you are have any allergies in childhood.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist