Suggest treatment for itchy rash on neck

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Five months ago, I got a very hot, red, very itchy rash on my neck that spread all the way around my neck, front and back. The itch was so deep and skin was so hot it was unbearable. I was given a steroid cream that only made it burn worse. My only relief came from using a very cold cloth. I also had a raw rash on my middle finger and between it and 4th finger. At one point it was so painful, swollen and breaking open that I thought the whole finger would split open. The rash went away but has returned monthly, like clockwork. The recent return has been the worst. It has spread to my chest, arms, back and is moving down to my abdomen and legs and along with it comes swelling. My left hand and arm have swollen up slightly, but my face is horribly swollen. So much so that I can barely open my eyes. A trip to the ER showed blood work was all good. I was given Benadryl and prednisone and sent home. I woke up today even more swollen. My skin is now very dry but the redness is subsiding and so is the itching. I'm in desperate need of answers. I can't get in to the dermatologist for a month. I have not changed anything in my life that could attribute this to an allergic reaction. I don't used scented soaps or detergents or harsh cleaners. I also had 3 moles on my neck that fell off because of this rash.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details required

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the query and photograph.
Such rash can be a fungal infection.
It is called as tinea corporis.
I would like to know the following details.
1. The rash appeared and involved the entire area suddenly or it spread slowly ?
2. Any of your close relatives or friend having similar rash ?
3. Do you have pets ?
4. Do you have any rash in groin or other part of body ?
Please answer the above so i can help you better.
Waiting for your response.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX
Thank you for your help. Here are my answers.
1. I noticed it first on my neck on the left side, and it spread slowly each day reaching further until it was a complete circle. This took about a week. It also affected my scalp on the back of my head. it was very hot, burning, and had oozing bumps as well as thick scaling skin.
2. Yes! My oldest sister had this last year in the summer and it finally went away after 2 months. This year, my other sister, also older than me, has experienced the same problem on her hand as I am, and at the exact same time. We had not seen each other for months.
3. Yes, I have pets. 3 dogs and 2 cats.
4. The rash is not in my groin but it is on my chest, stomach, abdomen and today it is moving to my upper thigh. The skin is very rough and dry.
Also, the rash was solid, not blotchy, and it was not raised. It felt very hot and prickly and was extremely painful.
Sorry Dr. XXXXXXX I realize you meant anyone in my household who has the same rash. The answer is no. My husband does not have this.

In April, I had a fungal infection on my foot that I believe was athlete's foot. I treated it and it went away in May. I did not consider that it could be the cause for the rest of the skin rash but now I wonder if there is a connection.

Another correction: the skin is slightly raised on the rash area.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the details.
It is definitely fungal infection.
The photograph and details are suggestive of that.
There is definitely relation between athletes foot and your neck rash.
Both are fungal infection.
In fact steroid flares up fungal infection and hence you got no response with steroids.
I treat such cases with topical antifungal cream like clotrimazole.
It give excellent response within 15 days.
You can try this in consultation with your doctor.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
Thank you so much!!! I started to use a anti fungal cream yesterday and have already noticed a slight improvement.

I am on 50mg/day of prednisone for 7 days to address the swelling in my face. will it also cause the fungus to flare or is it more the topical steroid creams that cause it to flare? Would an oral medication such as Canestan Oral help? I can purchase that over the counter.

I can not tell you how relieved I am to have an expert answer after having suffered for so many months. Thank you again Dr. Kumar!
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take oral canestin

Detailed Answer:
Hello
You are most welcome.
Yes prednisolone will slow down healing but better complete the course of prednisolone and then stop. Don't take it for more than a week.
Once you stop that there will be a faster response.
Oral canestin is a good idea if you can get it over the counter.
Thank you.
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 47 hours later
I have already noticed a marked improvement in the condition. The redness is fading, the rash area is decreasing and there is less itching. Thank you again for your assistance Dr. XXXXXXX Your expertise has brought me a great deal of relief.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 32 hours later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D