Suggest effective over the counter mouthwash

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Thu, 10 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Is there a Benadryl -Malox- L:idocaine mouthwash available without prescription?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Unfortunately, the viscous lidocaine that's in the "magic mouthwash" is by prescription only. If you can't get ahold of the doctor who is on-call for your own doctor, you have a couple of options:

1. Make your own without the lidocaine. The lidocaine is a numbing anesthetic but the other two medicines in it may help. Buy liquid Benadryl (or it's generic Diphenhydramine) and liquid Maalox (just the plain stuff - simethicone is not needed here). Mix equal parts of each.

2. Another option, if you can't get a hold of the doctor on call, is to go into an urgent care clinic for a visist/appointment today. The doctor there will prescribe it for you. Sometimes, if the urgent care is part of an HMO or other managed care system that a patient belongs to (and therefore has access to your records), the doctor will just phone in the prescription without you having to come in to be seen. So you might try calling them.

I hope this information helps.