• question-icon

Suggest treatment for gynecomastia

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in Weight Loss
Question:

I have been on fat loss program for a while now and i have seen noticeable results specially on my sides and my back and stomach. I am 28 year old male. I workout 5-6 days a week with gym and cardio sessions daily and i play cricket and squash over the weekends.

I have 2 questions:

1: i am losing fat everywhere except my chest. It seems as if i have female boobs and they dont seem to be reducing no matter how much cardio and weights i lift. I feel extremely insecure about it.

2: my stomach is reducing in fat but at times when i let it loose it seems as if there is a baloon inside it and it just expands and i have to suck it in to avoid this.

Can you please help me with these 2 problems.

Thanks
---
This email was Anti Virus checked with Astaro Security Gateway...
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gynecomastia

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Based on the image , you uploaded, gynecomastia or pseudogynecomastia is the likely cause for the enlarged male breasts. True gynecomastia is due to glandular component proliferation and is differentiated on physical examination.

Modifiable causes should be worked up. Testosterone levels, liver function tests, thyroid function tests, DHEA can be done. Hormonal profile can be advised accordingly to screen for any abnormality in this regard.

Medications like clomiphene or tamoxifen can be advised once weight loss and exercise are utilized and result in no significant reduction in the breast tissue. Its a benign build up and doesn't lead to any predisposition but is mostly of cosmetic concern. Benign gynecomastia usually doesn't require any treatment. However, longstanding gynecomastia patients can be offered a surgical option in the form of reduction mammoplasty.

Lower Core training by making your legs work out is the way to go first. It will take care of your upper core with time too. Caloric intake has to be kept in check. Try coffee as a good metabolic activator and cut down on fried food , refined sugars and late night meals completely. You should see a difference in your waist line within 2 months.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 7 minutes later
Thanks for the reply.

I am on a proper diet and limited calories a day. I have cut on fried foods also.

Can you suggest some sort of medication please as it has been years I am not able to get rid of this issue.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Clomiphene is an anti estrogen and tamoxifen too is an antagonist of estrogen.

Both can be used but only under the supervision of your doctor after a proper workup and prescription.

You may apprise your doctor of these options and discuss its availability.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 6 hours later
Hi

Would these pills help like:

Gynexin

Gynectrol

GyneMax
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

All three are supplements which regulate metabolism and mainly work against pseudo gynecomastia.

There are limited studies about it's effectiveness in in gynecomastia. These are mainly used by body builders to attain / maintain a certain weight or shape.

Gynexin or any of the other two can be used in consult with your doctor.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 3 days later

I have performed all the necessary tests which were recommended by you and they have all turned out normal.
My doctor has ruled out gynecomastia.
Can you advise my next steps or any medication since it is not gynecomastia.
I exercise regularly and also do alot of cardio also.

look forward to your reply.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

So it is basically lipomastia, which is fat deposition without no significant glandular component of the breast involved in proliferation.

If the breast size is less than 5 cm, there is no acute enlargement or appearance of a lump in the breast tissue or localized tenderness or associated hard fixed lymph nodes then no further workup is necessary.

Two options are available to you.

1) Work further on reduction of BMI. Aim for 20 lbs reduction, at least.
2) Cosmetic surgery , if that doesn't work.

Thanks.
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil