What causes headaches and shortness of breath after taking Lisinopril?

Cardiologist
Question
I have high blood pressure(165/110) and was put on Lisinoprin 3 weeks ago and it has come down about 30 points...however i have head aches and have shortness of breath. I wake up at night and feel like i'm not getting enough oxygen. I weigh 260 lb and it feels like my lungs have no where to expand to. I never had these symptons until I started this medication. I have an irregular heart beat and plan to go to a cardiologist but I'm wanting to know if the medication has any side effects mentioned. I also take testaterone injections weekly.
Thanks
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

It seems that your blood pressure values have got down and new clinical symptoms have appeared.

Probable relative hypotension (considering your previous persistently high BP values) coupled with possible cardiac arrhythmia (you are experiencing irregular heart beats) may be the reason of your actual complaints.

Nevertheless, Lisinopril may be associated with headache and throat angioedema, but testosterone may also lead to venous (pulmonary) thromboelbolism especially in over-weighted individuals.

In addition, a contribution to your symptoms may appear also form a possible hypo-ventilation syndrome that is not rarely present to over-weighted individuals.

Coming to this point, I recommend you asking immediate medical assistance by first discussing with your prescribing doctor on possible adverse effects of your actual therapy.

In addition some medical tests should be performed as follows:

- resting ECG,
- cardiac ultrasound,
- chest X ray study,
- pulmonary function tests,
- complete blood count,
- PCR & ESR,
- fasting blood glucose,
- BNP or NT-proBNP
- arterial blood gas analysis,
- ambulatory ECG (Holter) monitoring (if suspicions of intermittent arrhythmia),
- blood testosterone levels

You should discuss with your cardiologist on the above mentioned issues.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

In case of any further uncertainties, feel free to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri