What causes cold hands?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I've noticed lately when I am in my office that my right hand is colder & it feels colder than my left hand. I was just wondering if this is indicative of any underlying medical problem?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A number of reasons

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns , however there could be a number of reasons for that sensation. for example , you could be using your left hand more, more muscular activity yields more warmth .. Or this could be due to neuropathy which is inflammation of nerves of a part of the body and can lead to abnormal sensations such as coldness. This occurs probably due to vitamin b12 difficiency and can be easily corrected by vitamin b12 supplements..
Another possible cause is poor circulation resulting from constricted or insuffient arterial blood flow. This can be diagnosed by a Doppler ultrasound and treatment should be decided according to the extent of constriction. I hope I answered your question . if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 3 hours later
Dr -

1. I do have a bulging disk that sometimes aggravates my nerve in the cervical spine - could this be a possible reason ?

2. also you mentioned a B12 deficiency - is this another reason that could be causing the cold sensation in my right hand ? If so is there a way to test for a B12 deficiency?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, hello again.. yes the bulging disc could be the cause by excreting pressure on the nerve roots leading to abnormal sensation of coldness.
Also vitamin b 12 difficiency could be another mechanism of this sensation and its difficiency lead to neuritis which is inflammation of the nerves that also lead to abnormal sensations.. This can be easily diagnosed by a blood test of vitamin b12 level in your blood.. I hope you find this helpful . if you have further clarifications please let me know. if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion.