Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
190 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Whatis that heart rate thingy called?

What's the name of the device they always show in movies and shows and stuff where it's a bobbing red line that generate peaks to measure heart rate? Then usually when someone dies, it's just a solid red line.
Sat, 27 Aug 2011
Report Abuse
  User's Response
's  Response
It is called a heart rhythm monitor
General & Family Physician Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani's  Response
hi,thanks for query.What you asking is thing called cardiac monitor,this machine makes graphical record cardiac activity.As you know heart has got a electrical circuit so that its activities can be recorded.This give valuable information about heart like,beating rate,pattern of beating,heart getting proper blood supply etc.
wishing you good health.
I find this answer helpful
Anesthesiologist Dr. Shivakumar. M. C.'s  Response
These monitors are called multi parameter monitor which monitors
1 electrical activity of heart/ ECG
2 oxygen saturation in blood/ SPO2
3 Intra arterial blood pressure monitor/ IABP
4 Non invasive blood pressure monitor/ NIBP
5 Respiratory rate monitor
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

Recent questions on Arterial blood

Whatis that heart rate thingy called?

It is called a heart rhythm monitor