can aplastic anemia be treated with testosterone therapy?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 10 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: can aplastic anemia be treated with testosterone therapy.

the are quite a number of tests (from XXXXXXX XXXXXXX to lesser known medical schools) involving hundreds of 65 plus males who where given testosterone treatments over a period of time and the majority of their hemoglobin increased substantially
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
About androgenic treatment of aplastic anemia;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!

Testosterone has been used historically to treat aplastic anemia.

Some late results suggest that some anabolic adrogenic steroids (oral administration of high doses of: oxymetholone, metholone or dromostanolone and methenolone) may be more useful than testosterone in the treatment of aplastic anemia.
They are used together with imunosupressive therapy as an alternative line of treatment of Bone Marrow transplantation.
The result is different and depends on many factors but remission rates may be aquired in up to 60 % of patients.
Your treating physician will inform you in more details if it is appropriate for you.

Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj