Suggest treatment for chest infection

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Mon, 20 Apr 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi,
In first of January I was having pain along the carotids(left and right). It will come and go and the pain was not so acute. One day accompanied by chest pain it came along. Due to it I suffered a panic/anxiety attack and in he hospital they did the ECG/ECHO/TMT and everything was ok. The doctor identified it as chest infection as I had severe cough also with mucus. My blood test was order and the CRP and ESR levels was high.
I was prescribed
Moxykind Cs 625 (1-1-1) 20days
Montek LC 500(1-0-1)20days
Meftal 500 (1-1-1) 20days
Aerodil 1 teaspoon
After that
MOntek LC (0-0-1 30days)
Becotrol (1-0-0 30days)
I have now no pains or coughs any more and stopped the medication(after 15 days).
Just for a curiosity I cheked my Blood test again and the report came as
Cholestrol - 244mg%
Tryglycerides - 120mg
HDL -53
LDL-167
VLDL-24

CRP - 3.1mg/L
ESR - 65mm/1Hr

My ESR levels is still high and the CRP is some what down. Earlier it was 10. But I still doubt why my ESR is high. Earlier it was 40 when the doctor tested. Please help.

Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
ESR value will come down to normal within few days.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,

Your total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol are slightly high considering you as a vegetarian but need not to worry about that value if it has come once.

Now,following complete treatment from your chest infection you had a high ESR value.It would come down to normal within few weeks of completion of treatment.

As it is a very sensitive and non-specific measure of inflammation,it might take some time to come back to its normal level.

For confirmation,you can repeat the test with fasting blood sample which will give more accurate result.

Ask me if there is any query further.

Thanks and Regards,

Dr.sandipkabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 7 hours later
Thank you for the advice doctor.
Yes im trying to bring down the cholesterol level and its responding positively.

The reason im worrying is that i had stopped the prescription
MOntek LC (0-0-1 30days)
Becotrol (1-0-0 30days)
and had it for just a week.
Because i have now no coughs or pains.

Is it the ESR high because of that or is there any other reason?
Yea i will do a fasting blood test
Brief Answer:
You should complete the full course of treatment as prescribed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow-up query.

Montek-LC is a combination of antihistamine with mast cell stabilizer,good drug to control dry cough.You should have continued it as advised by your treating doctor.

Becotrol is a vitamin b complex+calcium+calcitriol and should not be any issue with it but it would be advisable to complete the full course of treatment.

To bring down cholesterol,you must avoid diet containing fatty foods and do regular exercises for at least half an hour daily.

If your ESR is between 40 to 60 then there is no need to worry.It might be because of your remission of inflammation,or some times it may be due to diet containing fatty acids.

As i said earlier,it will take some time to get down to its normal level.

You can repeat the ESR test after 1 week with fasting blood sample.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D