Suggest medication for hypothyroidism during pregnancy

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 5 Mar 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: From the past couple of years my mom is using 100 mg tablets. I have attached the latest reports. Could you please verify and let me know if that is correct dosage or needs to change the tablets.
THYROID PROFILE-I
TEST NAME RESULTS BIO.REF.RANGE METHOD
we tested the thyroid 2 days back and attached the latest report. please have a look and advise if you want to continue the same tablets or require any change
TriIodothyronine Total (TT3) 53.09
Female: 62.0 - 181.0 ng/dL
1st Trimester: 71.0 - 175.0 ng/dL
2nd Trimester: 91.0 - 195.0 ng/dL
3rd Trimester: 104.0 - 182.0 ng/dL
CLIA
Thyroxine (TT4) 3.9
Female :5.4-11.7 ug/dL
1 st Trimester : 6.5 - 10.1 µg/dL
2 nd Trimester : 7.5 - 10.3 µg/dL
3 rd Trimester : 6.3 - 9.7 µg/dL
CLIA
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone
(TSH)
80.80
Female : 0.35-5.5 µIU/mL
1st Trimester : 0.1-2.5 µIU/mL
2ndTrimester : 0.2-3.0 µIU/mL
3rd Trimester : 0.3-3.0 µIU/mL
CLIA
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
About hypothyroidism treatment:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
The TSH level is still very high, even she is under treatment with levothyroxine.
Usually it needs a 6 week treatment to correct the TSH and judge about the dose of levothyroxine.
If she has been taking levothyroxine 100 mcg for more than 6 weeks , that means that the dose should be increased (from 100 to 150 mcg) and check TSH 6 weeks after.
Is she continued treatment during the last days , she should wait 6 weeks for the result.
Hope i have been helpful.
Kind regardds,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 13 minutes later
Hello XXXX,

Thanks for your answer.
As of now my mother was not following the course exactly. I.e she is taking the tablet of 100 mg once in two days or three days instead of 1 per 1 day. She is saying that she don't have any problem/effect, even she doesn't take one tablet for each day.

After going thru the report I understand that it will effect internally but can't see externally.

As per your advice, I will ask her to take 1 tab each day for 6 weeks and will get it tested again. I will consult you after getting the next report.

Thanks,
XXXX

I would also appreciate, if you can suggest some remedies apart from tablets to reduce the reported problem.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
About hypothyroidism;

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back!
Except of taking regularly the tablets there is no there remedy or treatment for under active thyroid.
The symptoms caused by under active thyroid are not specific but usually it causes a general fatigue, weight gain, feeling sleepy, constipation that patient often do not notice.
It can raise the cholesterol levels raising the cardiovascular risk. So treatment should be taken regularly.
Wish her good health.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad