Stomach pain with belching and swollen lymph nodes. HIV RNA PCR test was negative. Advice

Dr. Roopa Hiremath

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Question: For the last two weeks I have been experiencing weird issues after anal fronttage and a weekend of drinking I am sure of their being no penetration or oral sex because the time when the incident happened I was sober it was the morning after...I woke up the next morning with a bad stomach pain with a lot of belching, bloated, dizziness and gas that last exactly two weeks to the date of the incident (yesterday)...On the 9th day of the incident I took a HIV RNA PCR test which was negative and from what the CDC site says if I had it at that moment it should have appeared but to follow up with an antibody test 90 days after the incident. I was feeling lymph nodes in my neck for about a week all of them were movable and only able to really find them if I tried...Last night I noticed a lymph node right above my adam's apple and this one is swollen not able to be moved...I have no fever or sore throat I don't know exactly what's going on the only thing I did was that incident and got a flu shot on Saturday beyond that I've went to ERs and Urgent Cares my WBC was 2.7 (it's been low since I was a kid), lymph count was a little high 50.7, that's all I remember from the CBC
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Lymph node swelling Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for choosing health care magic for your query. I understand your concern regarding your HIV status. Lymph node swelling can occur due to any bacterial or viral infection which may be sub clinical meaning may not be showing any symptoms. Swollen lymph nodes need to be examined for size, texture, tenderness and whether they are movable or not. If the swelling is very painful, over the counter pain killers can be taken. Your blood reports seems to be normal. Flu shots can cause mild illness similar to viral fever with body pain and swelling of lymph nodes. I suggest you get in touch with your GP and get the lymph node swelling examined. Regarding HIV testing, best test to be done during early infection is HIV RNA PCR. But to announce some one as HIV negative, two consecutive test results should show negative results. I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Roopa Hiremath 4 minutes later
So me testing at 9 days post with RNA PCR was fine?
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: HIV testing during early infection Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. Green, Welcome back. Yes, RNA PCR for HIV is the correct method for testing during early infection. Vaginal secretions and semen are very rich in HIV particles and these particles gain entry through mucous membranes of genitalia during sexual intercourse. (vaginal, anal or oral) After entry HIV particles reach the lymph nodes and multiply there and get spilled into the blood after 4 -11 days. So technically there is no test that can detect HIV within 4 days of exposure. After 4 days, HIV RNA PCR and HIV p24 antigen tests are best tests for detection. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D