Suggest medication for fever in a child

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi..8.5 month old baby got a fever 99 degree Fahrenheit..Baby little irritated. Duty doc only available. Gave babygesic & sinarest af ( .6 ml, 3 times a day)cani give him other foods now? Citrus fruits? Anything to be worried
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like viral illness - Do not use Sinarest in this age - not licensed

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day.

If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.

Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

Need not give Paracetamol if the temperature is less than 100F.

Sinarest is not licensed to be used in this age group. Please do not use it.

You can give him all the food which you regularly give him. No dietary restrictions.

Citrus fruits can be given. Actually they are good for cough and cold because they are rich in vitamin C which is good for cough and cold.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana