Is severe diarrhea while treating viral fever normal in a child?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my 15 months old daughter was down with fever for the last 3 days.. doc said it was viral fever and was on crocin srops.. her temperature did not rise after 10 pm yesterday and she is not on crocin drops since last night. But yesterday she passed two stools and the second one was green colored and watery. Today morning she passed another green watery stool.. what could be the reason of diarrheaa after a fever that lasted for 3 and half days.. is it a secondary infection or side effect of crocin? She was very active till yest but today aince morning she is dull n cranky.. for the pas few days she has been poking at her cheek and bites on everything.. i think she is teething also.. she is on enderogermina.. what is the possible cause of diarrhea after fever has subsided?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibly a gastrointestinal infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concerns. It is possible that somehow your daughter has got a gastrointestinal infection (not a secondary infection) and that could be the cause of the fever. Putting things in the mouth is the likely cause. However, unless associated with bloody diarrhea, it is self limiting and does not require to be treated with antibiotics. Green or greenish stools indicate rapid transit through the intestines and the bile contained does not get enough time to convert into the yellow colour of stool. As such, it is not a cause of concern. It is not a side effect of Crocin. The mainstay of treatment is ORS (oral rehydration solution) which is very essential for replenishment of salt and water lost. Give her Crocin to bring down the fever, if necessary. You can give Enterogermina.

If she takes ORS as needed and unless she has bloody diarrhea or lethargy you need not worry. You can wait. It should get well soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
She did not have diarrhea in the first three days while she was down with fever.. Now when the fever is gone she is passing stools in little quantites every 2 to 3 hrs.. how long ll the diarrhea persist? Should she need a blood work done?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment is supportive

Detailed Answer:
The diarrhea can persist for 2-4 days. Treatment is supportive (ORS).

If she is otherwise active and passing urine normally, blood work is not required. However, if she becomes lethargic or if the urinary frequency reduces, she would need medical attention and investigation.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 23 hours later
Hi doctor.. she developed rashes in face and back and we rushed to hospital.. doc adviced a blood trst to rule out dengue.. but would i believe the that in dengue the rash should accompany fever and only in roseola the rash appears after fever.. anyhow the dengue results ll come tomorrow morinig and cbc count ll come this eve.. mild diarrhea after fever subsided.. fever did not cross 102, child was active throughout.. do these symptoms indicate roseola or dengue? And if it is dengue what would be the wbc n platelet count
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to panic about dengue

Detailed Answer:
Let me tell you that different types of viral infections (not only dengue or roseola) are associated with rashes. It can be difficult to tell them apart. Let me mention that dengue is a type of viral infection. You need not be alarmed about dengue. It is a disease transmitted by mosquitoes and so you need to use mosquito nets and prevent development of breeding ground for mosquitoes. The primary concern about dengue is because a very small percentage of the affected individuals may develop dengue shock syndrome (DSS) where fluid moves out of the blood vessels and unless that fluid is replaced (by drinking plenty of ORS, water or through IV fluids) vascular collapse and therefore shock may result. But even in case of DSS all that needs to be done is to ensure a good hydration, nothing more. So, you need not panic about dengue. Just make sure to make her drink plenty of fluids.

The WBC count is usually unaffected in viral infections (including dengue). The platelet count may eventually drop but it is only if case you find any sort of bleeding manifestations, rush to the hospital without delay. Otherwise you need not get concered.

Please be patient. Feel free to ask me back if you have any further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 hours later
The blood reports have come but the dengue n serum reorts ll come by tomorrow eve.. can you tell me if dengue can be ruled out
Wbc-5,800 cumm
Haemoglobin 12.4 gm/dl
Platelet count- 1,84,000 cu.mm
Polymorphs 21 percent
Lymphocytes 71 percent
Esonophils 5 percent
Monocytes 3 percent
C reactive protein 0.16.. doc says the differential
Count varies slightly from normal
Values becoz of viral infection.. however thr viral fever didnt return after saturday night?
Brief Answer:
Viral infection. Management is supportive.

Detailed Answer:
The blood parameters indicate the possibility of a viral infection. A bacterial infection can be ruled out. Wait for the dengue reports, but as already explained, you need not worry.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 11 minutes later
As far as I heard platelets count should be less than 1,00,000 in case of dengue right..
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wrong

Detailed Answer:
In case of a dengue patient the platelet counts may come down below 1 lakh but the normal remains at 1.5 lakhs per cu.mm or more (not less than 1 lakh).

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 15 hours later
Hi doctor.. the dengue reports r negative.. the rashes r fading away and diarrhea also subsided and no fever since saturday night.. she is slightly irritable n sleeping more than usual.. what could be the reason.. eating fine
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could happen in a child recovering from a viral fever

Detailed Answer:
Good to know that the dengue report is negative and that the rashes are fading away. It is not unusual for a child recovering from a viral fever to be irritable and sleeping more than usual. Since the blood counts were normal I would assume that there is no reason to worry.