Persistent cough with secretion after bending. Have back pain and thyroid cancer. Any suggestion?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: My symptoms are not constant but defiantly becoming more frequent. I have a cough more like a dry cough and I get winded. I can shovel the driveway and its not bad but if I play with the dog or sometimes bending over and getting up fast. And the last thing is upper back pain or more like discomfort or pressure. Except for an upcoming thyroid surgery for thyroid cancer I am in overall pretty good shape. I do have Hashimoto any suggestions
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later

Persistent cough with secretion after bending suggest an underlying rhinitis or sinusitis. It needs to be ruled out with proper clinical examination and relevant investigations.

However in the back ground of thyroid cancer and back pain, possibilities of metastasis cannot be over ruled.

Therefore I urge you to consult your treating physician at the earliest and plan its treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. Any you have any further concern, please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later
I do have snuffy nose some. But cough not with secretion. I forgot that I had thoracic surgery and gallbladder surgery possible scar tissue? Anyway. I am not one to have meds but maybe I'll they OTC sinus I have the surgery in three weeks. I have to for pre-op stuff the week before. They didn't say what that involves I'm guessing blood work. Would that show something like anemia if something has advanced or should I say something to a doctor before surgery
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 55 minutes later

Rhinitis can cause post nasal drip in some people. This can produce cough episodes. You may try OTC medications for sinus and nasal stuffiness and see if those improve the symptoms.

At time of pre operative work up just tell all your complaints including back ache to surgeon. The blood test will help us know if any condition is associated.

Hopefully I have answered your query. Let me know if you need further clarifications.

Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 6 hours later
I won't be seeing the surgeon for pre-op. I think I just go for blood work and paper work. Will they be able to tell if cancer has metastasized when they do the surgery. Of I have sinusitis will I still be able to have surgery. My regular Dr didn't think I needed the US or the biopsy recommended by the radiologist so even if I got a appoint to see him he would probably not address back pain. I had to push for those tests .... Would I ask for an X-ray or something. I will be looking for a new reg Dr after surgery stuff.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Thyroid malignancy metastasizes to bone and spine. So, during thyroid surgery it will not possible to tell the metastasis as the operative field is away from the spine.

You can have surgery with sinusitis. It is not a serious concern. Considering your past history of thyroid cancer, a biopsy is not needed. It may cause seeding of malignant cells. However your back pain complaint must be addressed by your surgeon. In every malignant case, it is mandatory to rule out metastasis. Depending on your previous imaging and clinical examination investigations like MRI may be needed.

Hope I have answered your query.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 55 minutes later
Don't know if you have my past inquiry. The only test /imaging I have had is the US that showed a small nodule that has grown some had ill defined borders microcalcification and a couple inferior lymph glands. Then the biopsy was papillary malignancy and hurthle cell Because of hysterectomy when I,was 21 and no HRT I have a osteoporosis rated high risk for thoracic spine fracture I think that's what it said it was so long ago and I was surprised to know fracture could happen in spine I thought only happens in hip I thought the upper back pain might be lung cause it is a different kind of pain then the osteoporosis good to know thyroid cancer doesn't go to lung. Should I still ask for MRI and if so before or after surgery if I get to talk to the Dr
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 4 hours later
Your query regarding details of hurtle cells and related pathologies was answered by me. So I know your previous reports.

Previously you didn't mention regarding osteoporosis and spine fracture. In such known pathology no need of MRI on emergency basis. Its decision depends on your treating surgeon.

I think you must discuss all issues before operation, then a definitive line of management can be decided. It will clear all your doubts.

Thanking you.