What does this dexa bone density test report indicate?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I'm 27 year old female from past few days I have got joint pains. especially while climbing up and down the stairs along with the cracking sound.
went to orthopedician they suggested couple of tests related to auto immune arthiritis, results are normal. The pain isn't reducing. doctor suggested bone density tests as I have high FSH readings of 16 with normal pelvic abdominal scan. results of dexa bone density test are as below,

right forearm - T score: -3.5 with 0.5 BMD
spine - T score 1.1 with 1.3 BMD
femur - T score : 0.1 with normal BMD

when I showed my reports doctor said nothing to worry and they can't treat the wrist alone. but when I checked in next they said it's osteoporosis and treatment should behind. I'm just bothered if I have to go for any medication.

thanks a lot
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Calcium and vitamin D3 supplements can help.

Detailed Answer:
You have a low bone mineral density in the wrist. This can be related to low levels of calcium and vitamin D3 in your body. Proper supplements can help in bringing the levels back to normal and can reduce the bone and joint pain that you are having. You can get the proper supplements prescribed from your orthopedician.
The crackling sound in the joints can be related to stress related minor capsular inflammation or decrease in the joint lubricants. This mostly subsides by taking antiinflammatory agents and mild pain killers like ibuprofen. In some cases for acute problem muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside are needed after consulting with your orthopaedician.
If still there is no relief then oral steroids and oral lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin are given.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: What does this dexa bone density test report indicate? 34 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your reply doctor. I was just curious why BMF is less only near wrist? all other places it's actually higher than the normal value for my age. is there anything else I should worry about? doctor I consulted said I shouldn't bother about low levels in my wrist as other places it's okay. which put me in a worried state.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not worrisome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The low levels of BMD only near the wrist can be due to past history of fracture or immobilization in the area. This can be due to faulty caliberation of the machine also. This is not worrisome. You can start with the supplements and get the levels evaluated again after 6 months.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.