What does this dexa bone density test report indicate?
went to orthopedician they suggested couple of tests related to auto immune arthiritis, results are normal. The pain isn't reducing. doctor suggested bone density tests as I have high FSH readings of 16 with normal pelvic abdominal scan. results of dexa bone density test are as below,
right forearm - T score: -3.5 with 0.5 BMD
spine - T score 1.1 with 1.3 BMD
femur - T score : 0.1 with normal BMD
when I showed my reports doctor said nothing to worry and they can't treat the wrist alone. but when I checked in next they said it's osteoporosis and treatment should behind. I'm just bothered if I have to go for any medication.
thanks a lot
Calcium and vitamin D3 supplements can help.
Thanks for posting your query.
You have a low bone mineral density in the wrist. This can be related to low levels of calcium and vitamin D3 in your body. Proper supplements can help in bringing the levels back to normal and can reduce the bone and joint pain that you are having. You can get the proper supplements prescribed from your orthopedician.
The crackling sound in the joints can be related to stress related minor capsular inflammation or decrease in the joint lubricants. This mostly subsides by taking antiinflammatory agents and mild pain killers like ibuprofen. In some cases for acute problem muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside are needed after consulting with your orthopaedician.
If still there is no relief then oral steroids and oral lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin are given.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Thanks for writing again.
The low levels of BMD only near the wrist can be due to past history of fracture or immobilization in the area. This can be due to faulty caliberation of the machine also. This is not worrisome. You can start with the supplements and get the levels evaluated again after 6 months.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Bones density test in indiranagar
- Dexa bone density hyperintensity
- Dexa bone density scan frequency
- Bone density test panchkula
- Bone density test menstural
- Frequency of bone density test
- Interpreting bone density test results
- Understanding bone density test results
- What should bone density be
- Bone density test hinduja
- Can spinal stenosis cause joints pain and swollen ankle, thighs and knees?
- Having lower back pain with tickling and pulsating sensation. What could...
- MRI of knee showed occult displaced fracture. What is it and what is the...
- What is the cause and treatment for painful knee with walking difficulty?
- Having ump into superclavical. What could the long tube feeling be?
- MRI findings show posterior disc bulges at L5-S1 and L4-5 levels....
- MRI scan shows Lumbar spondylosis. Suggest
- What causes pain in left groin and lower back and how can it be treated?
- Had MRI scan of right ankle and prescribed with zyloric for reduction of...
- What would be the cause of sudden neck pain on one side?