Suggest safe dosage for magnesium supplements to treat thigh muscle cramps
300 mg per day.
Thanks for posting your query.
Muscle cramping and spasms are often found in vitamin D and magnesium deficiency.
I suggest you to consult an endocrinologist and get prescribed vitamin D and magnesium supplements. Your symptoms should improve with that. In addition to your dietary intake you can have daily supplements of 300 mg per day. Also eat magnesium rich foods like bananas, beans, chickpeas, fish, nuts, soybeans, spinach etc which are natural sources of magnesium.
Regarding vitamin D levels, you need to take a XXXXXXX of vitamin D with milk or curd once a week for 8 weeks and then once a month. Each XXXXXXX contains 60,000 IU of vitamin D. But these should be taken only after getting your vitamin D levels checked.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Forgot, why an endocrinologist? and not internist????? I thought endo's only treated hormone insufficiencies???
Endocrinologist is a better option.
Thanks for writing again.
Endocrinologist will help in ruling out osteoporosis also at your age. You can get the prescriptions from internet also.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Thigh calf muscle cramps sleeplessness tiredness taken cymbalta lorazepam suggestions
- Treating muscle cramps in calves
- Muscle cramps on cilest
- Masseter muscle cramping myopathy
- Magnesium deficiency and muscle cramps
- Pubococcygeus muscle cramp
- Inner thigh muscle cramps night
- Muscle cramps in thighs reasons
- Muscle cramps and weakness in arms
- Muscle cramps in thighs painful what is this
- Can spinal stenosis cause joints pain and swollen ankle, thighs and knees?
- Having lower back pain with tickling and pulsating sensation. What could...
- MRI of knee showed occult displaced fracture. What is it and what is the...
- What is the cause and treatment for painful knee with walking difficulty?
- Having ump into superclavical. What could the long tube feeling be?
- MRI findings show posterior disc bulges at L5-S1 and L4-5 levels....
- MRI scan shows Lumbar spondylosis. Suggest
- What causes pain in left groin and lower back and how can it be treated?
- Had MRI scan of right ankle and prescribed with zyloric for reduction of...
- What would be the cause of sudden neck pain on one side?