• question-icon

What causes constipation while on Norvasc?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was feeling well until I took norvasc.I took it for 3 weeks and had a burning feeling in my face,shoulders,and arms.I have also had weakness in my arms.I have also had urinary problems.I was up 6 times to go to the bathroom last night.Also my stomach is really upset.I have had bad constipation with black stools.The black stools have gone away.The main thing I am worried about is my weakness and tiredness.Will this go away?I have been off of this 2 weeks.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
vitamin D and magnesium deficiency.

Detailed Answer:
Generalised weakness and tiredness s often found in vitamin D and magnesium deficiency.

I suggest you to consult an endocrinologist and get prescribed vitamin D and magnesium supplements. Your symptoms should improve with that. Also eat magnesium rich foods like bananas, beans, chickpeas, fish, nuts, soybeans, spinach etc which are natural sources of magnesium.

Regarding vitamin D levels, you need to take a XXXXXXX of vitamin D with milk or curd once a week for 8 weeks and then once a month. Each XXXXXXX contains 60,000 IU of vitamin D. But these should be taken only after getting your vitamin D levels checked.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Hi,Thank you for your answer.I take 5,000 iu of vitamin d3.I can not do dairy products.I have stomach problems.I have constipation,nausea,burping,stomach ache,gas when I have dairy products.I felt good up until I took this Norvasc.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Less likely to be due to Norvasc.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The gastritis and intestinal gas can be related to Norvasc but not tiredness and weakness. You can get the levels checked and have a healthy diet.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon