Suggest medication for osteoporosis while undergoing treatment for RA

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2018 in Lupus
Question: If I have rheumatoid arthritis, what is safest medication that also helps osteoporosis? How can I reduce swelling in feet and hands? I'm taking high-dose fish oil for RA symptoms. It seems to have reduced pain but not swelling.

Thank you. YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Such a advance RA will need DMARDS

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, your RA needs to be treated with drugs like disease modifying anti rheumatoid drugs, which includes methotrexate and sulphalsalazine or hydroxychloroquine.

Using supplements for calcium, D3 and bisphonates will slow down osteoporosis as well as help with RA but without anti inflammatory drugs pain and swelling can't be controlled.

Advance biological drugs like rotuximab can be used but a detailed rheumatologist review and quantative analysis of inflammatory markers like ESR, CRP, and Anticcp to monitor disease activity.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T