PCOD is a problem of irregular periods, problems with ovulation, alongwith multiple small cysts seen in the ovary, and also associated disorders like increased androgen ( male hormone ) levels, insulin resistance leading to deranged..."/>

Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

194 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

PCOD. Getting regular period without medicine. Trying to conceive. Safe to take postpone tablet?

Answered by
Dr. Aarti Abraham


Practicing since :1998

Answered : 6011 Questions

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Hello Doctor,

I was having PCOD problem. Now i am getting periods regularly with out medication. we are trying for baby also. But now because of some unavoidable circumstances i am suppose to take the postporn tablet. Can you please sugest me what i am suppose to do?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Thanks for your question.

ovary-syndrome/0000" >PCOD is a problem of irregular periods, problems with ovulation, alongwith multiple small cysts seen in the ovary, and also associated disorders like increased androgen ( male hormone ) levels, insulin resistance leading to deranged blood glucose levels and raised cholesterol levels.

Apart from getting regular periods, if you plan to conceive, you should get yourself thoroughly investigated for PCOD. A reliable transvaginal ultrasound, Serum FSH and LH hormone levels on day 2 of periods, SHBG and DHEAS ( adrenal hormones ), OGTT ( oral glucose tolerance test ), fasting serum insulin levels, lipid profile, thyroid profile - these are some of the investigations. Of course, your partner's semen testing and checking whether your fallopian tubes are open or not is also crucial.

I have understood from the question that for one cycle, you wish to take tablets to postpone your periods. Am I right ? Well, if that is unavoidable, there is no harm in taking them for a single occasion, however, it should not be a pattern, since irregular periods in PCOD are caused by basically hormonal imbalance, and these pills also contain progesterone.

SO do not worry and take the pills as per prescription and after examination by a gynecologist, meanwhile continue taking treatment and investigations for PCOD also.

Expect an erratic period while you take the tablets to postpone your menses, but it should regularize afterwards, as long as your PCOD is being controlled.

Please bear in mind that the mainstay of treatment of PCOD is diet modification, moderate exercise and sensible weight loss alongwith a positive outlook on life, zero stress levels and a fit body.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Can you suggest me a Good hospital and doctor for above said checkups? Also what will be cost of the treatment?
Which tablet I can take to postpone the period?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Hi again,
Based on your current location in India, I am sure you can find many good government, private or corporate hospitals for the above treatment.
Cost would depend on which sector you choose.
The tablets given to postpone periods are actually progesterone preparations, and they are prescription drugs, not over the counter ones.
So I cannot prescribe the brands and doses on this portal.
They would be prescribed to you alongwith explanation of the correct method of use, by your gynecologist.

Take care, XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,  
Lab Tests ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Blood test

doctor1 MD

my crp is 28.46 mg/L. ESR is 50mm/hr. urine test result: WBC/hpf:25-30, RBC/HPf: 3-4, Epithelial cells: 6-8. the increase in crp is it because of urinary infection . one and half years ago i had infective colitis and then my crp wasraised to 113. and it was treated fully. now because of the increase in crp whether i have to go for endoscopy

doctor1 MD

My husband is 27 years old. He feels restless all the day. He sweats and snores at the night. His report show high rbc count as 7.05 mln/cub m.m. , mean cell volume is 62.4 fl, mean cell hb is 20.3 pg, rdw cv is 16.3 %, sgpt is 67 iu/l, serum triglyceride is 161 mg/dl. Please elaborate what does all indicate to and what should we consult with a doctor. Please help.

doctor1 MD

Dear Sir,

My mother has been suffering from Kidney disease. She never had any problem with BP or Blood Sugar but he has been declared to have bilateral renal parenchyma disease since 2005.

She is taking a calculated diet limiting the salt content in the food to 3 gm/day. The recent blood test conducted (2 months back) has reported bad results and the details are listed below:-

Creatinine - 7.5

Hemoglobin - 8.1

Blood Sugar (Fasting) 88 mg/DL

Urea - 150

Sodium - 131

Potassium - 4.2

What should be the next step? Is kidney transplantation the only choice? When/where should it be done? Is it getting very worse or we still have some time to go for the transplantation?

Please help.

Thanks, Kunal


doctor1 MD

Hello, about 13 days ago I drank alot of alcochol and I have been dizzy with a slight headache since then. I have been to the doctor he said it is probably liver intoxication, that it will go away, that was a week ago. I did a bunch of blood tests everything seems normal accept my hep B anti hps was 93. This happened about 2 months ago as well, the doc gave me, b6 dramin (portuguese), which I took for a week and the dizzyness went away. Any clue what it could be? Is this normal because of alcohol consumption? I have drank alot in the past years, never had this happen before.

doctor1 MD

I am having sinus pressure and I recently had pneumonia . I do use salt water rinse. Today I kept falling asleep. I got up and ate dinner but tonight I am again fighting to stay awake. I saw my Doctor yesterday, she did a blood test . Thank you, XXXX

doctor1 MD

My ESR Test Result: 30mm/hr in 1st hour and 2nd hour 60mm/hr why it’s come like can you please explain. Last 2 weeks on word i ma getting itching .what the reason The doctor has started working on your question. Once the doctor submits the answer,...

doctor1 MD

I have pain in my upper right hand side of my chest, feel sick after eating, and get really hungry, and thirsty. Could this indicate esophageal cancer or gallbladder problems?