Is low bleeding during menstruation a sign of pregnancy?

Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: I had intercourse and took emergency contraception tablet 8hrs after the intercourse on 20th March. My regular period should come by 2rd -3rd of April. But i see low bleeding. I get heavy bleeding during my periods, but its not heavy, its very very low bleeding. Is this the sign of pregnancy having light bleeding.
Please advise.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need some additional info.

Detailed Answer:
Hello ,

Thanks for writing to us. Let me know few things:

1) What was your last date of period?

2) Duration of bleeding and cycle length ?

3) Does your previous cycle regular or irregular?

Waiting for your earliest response for better suggestion.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 5 minutes later
Last Period Date: 2 March
Duration of bleeding: 5days
Previous cycle is regular

I had 3 times intercourse on the same day and then took emergency contraception Plan B one Step Emergency after 8 hrs of final intercourse.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
< 1% chance of pregnancy. Do home pregnancy test.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for updated information. Followings are my comments:

1) According to last period date, you did sex close to your fertile or ovulation day (occurs 14 days prior to due date). However, you took Plan-B one step after 8 hrs of final intercourse. It will give more than 99% protection against unwanted pregnancy.

2) Very light bleeding may be due to effect of the pill as a result of hormonal imbalance. However, I suggest you to undergo one home pregnancy test to clear doubt. It will be more worthwhile.

Hope, it helps for your information. Review with test report.

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326

Follow up: Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Last month i got my period on March 3rd and this month i got it on Apr 3rd.
This month the bleeding was very very low which doesn't soak a sanitary pad.
Is this the symptom for pregnancy or is this the side effect for taking the emergency contraception Plan B one Step.

If i take a home pregnancy test now during my periods will it give correct results or should i wait till i complete my periods.

Please advise
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do pregnancy test with morning urine.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Welcome back again.

I have already mentioned that light bleeding is mostly due to side effect of the emergency contraceptive pill.

However, we need to rule out pregnancy also (low chance) as very very low bleeding is always doubtful.

Therefore, you need to do home pregnancy test and it can be done at any time (preferably with morning urine). Blood test for beta-hCG is more reliable in this case.

Hope, it helps for you. Good luck and take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee