What causes heavy menstrual bleeding postpartum?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 14 Apr 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi there I have 2 questions. My first one is that I am still bleeding after 6 weeks postpartum from a c section. The blood 2 weeks ago was bright red with clots, my doctor tested me for infection which was negative. A week later I was still bleeding, although lighter, so she put me on a week of antibiotics to see if it would clear up. Since then my bleeding has turned into a thick mucous (stringy, slimy) that is a pinkish brown in color. This is not a lot, it only comes when I use the restroom. My question is, what is this mucous stuff? Do you know what could be causing me to bleed after 6 weeks and will this ever stop? Is it a good sign that it changed from bright red to slimy pink?

My second question has to do with my c section sight. I was healing fine with no pain. Now since yesterday I have become sore at both ends of the c section scar, about an inch up from the scar. On one side there is a small mass. Is this scar tissue? Ovarian cyst? Or unexplained? I have an appoontent tomorrow but due to my anxiety I would like any answer I can get. Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to remnants of placenta or uterine lining.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for trusting hcm about your health care.
I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.
Congratulations for your baby!
I want to explain something about postpartum bleeding it is usually occurs 4-6 weeks and in very rare cases it extended up to 8 weeks.
In initial 4-5 days it is heavy bleeding and next 6-7 days it becomes light and can persist upto 4 weeks like slight bleeding.
This bleeding which we called lochia is due to shed of uterus lining which get thickened during pregnancy and due to placental remnants.
In your case it is not considered normal as you bleed so much after 4 weeks, it could be due to infection or retained pieces of placenta.
Yaa if quantity and color changes it is a good sign.
Pain and soreness is due to infection of stitch site,sometimes fat tissue in scar area get infected.
You should get your pelvic ultrasound and ultrasound can see scar tissue weather it is healthy or not.
Hope found useful, feel free to ask more information.
Good luck.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 2 hours later
Thank you very much. My doctor did an ultrasound and also an hcg quant to try and determine if there was placental remnants. My hcg quant was at 0 so she said it is highly unlikely that there was retained placenta. They also did an ultrasound and said the lining of my uterus was not very thick but they did see a clot inside. This was 2 weeks ago.
As far as the infected scar tissue goes, I am currently on antibiotics, my 6th day of treatment. Is it likely I would get a new infection while on antibiotics?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to fat reaction.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Sorry for the delay in my response.
So heavy bleeding could be due to that clot also.
Stitch site could be infected or it is fat reaction occur with stitch could be rule out with ultrasound.
If pus is there than we can send it for c/s( culture and sensitivity).
Hope found useful.
Good luck.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana